Help with replacement window quotes

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mvblum1211

Help with replacement window quotes

#1 Post by mvblum1211 »

Hey all,

I'm in the process of doing a roof, siding, windows upgrade to my house and of the four contractors they've recommended four different types of windows with varying degree of cost behind it. Before I started the process I was more or less sold on Okna's but none of these guys use them and the two that offered to switch out what they use all said the prices were much higher. Having been down this road before I know they could be simply saying that because there's not as much margin in those windows for them or their supply house doesnt carry them.

Some details on what I'm looking at:

18 Double Hung
4 Fixed (part of a slop porch on the back of the house)
3 Basement windows

Contractor 1: ViWenco $8500
Contractor 2: Alside Shefield $11,800
Contractor 3: MI 1550 Series $7.500
Contractor 4: Still waiting on specifics but it was a name I hadnt seen before. $7,500

How do these units and prices compare to Okna 500 series? Should I consider a contractor to do the windows alone and then have the roof and siding done?

Currently the house has all the original plate glass wood double hung windows from when it was built in the 20's. Any decent window should be a major improvement but I'd rather do it once and do it right. Sometimes its cheaper to pay more. :)

Ricknez

Re: Help with replacement window quotes

#2 Post by Ricknez »

All 3 of those windows, alside , viwinco, and MI are very low quality. MI is probably the worst out of that group and is basically junk. the others arent far behind.
You are on the right track by looking at the okna.
Pay some extra and do it right. You are going to pay more than the prices you were quoted but then again its not an accurate comparison when you compare those 3 low budget windows with a more solid offering such as okna.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

I know tons of general contractors that perform full exterior remodeling projects that only purchase their windows through a few local building supply houses. Whatever the supply house sells is what they go with. It's almost always in my parts the same 3-5 brands, all low quality. Vinyl windows may be 5% of a general contractor's business. Most GC's will not now all of the technical data like a full time window pro such as overall u-factor, glass package selection regarding double/triple pane and low-e coatings appropriate for your region and house design, DP, SHGC, CR, and possibly most important air leakage.

I've heard countless times from these types of tradesman that "all vinyl window windows are pretty much the same" and my favorite is "I've been installing these windows for years with and I've never had any problems." We even have a guy that lives down the street from me that told me point blank that if a homeowner wants something other than a cheap vinyl window that he just goes with Andersen wood/clad.

Many of my local building supply houses offer factory support in regards to the Simonton, ViWinco, Alside, and other brands that they sell to their contractors. If the window is installed somewhat correctly and something is blatantly wrong, the contractor doesn't have to jump on the grenade trying to get things right. He call can the building supply house and they can deal with it. We premium vinyl dealers pretty much do everything ourselves in regards to installing and servicing the products that we represent.

I don't like any the brands that your contractors are mentioning personally. A Simonton Impressions 9800, ProVia Endure or Aspect, or premium offering from Paradigm would be a step up in the right direction. When you have a contractor doing the siding and roofing it's not typically cost effective to try to put other specialty tradesman in the mix and it tends to really mess up the project.

mvblum1211

#4 Post by mvblum1211 »

I appreciate the responses and feedback. The process just started for me and I was never firm on one contractor doing it all unless it was the right fit. I've had my share of negative experiences with projects in the past and being a bit more patient this time should help get me the results I'm expecting.

I started soliciting quotes from window installers after reading through this forum last night. Outside of the OKNA 500 series are there other brand/model lines that are comparable in quality and ratings that would offer similar performance in a similar price range?

In seeing where I'm at would it make the most sense to have the windows done first, then the roof siding by a separate contractor? Is there any duplication of work in having two separate teams do this work, around the exterior trimming of the windows?

EDIT:

Sorry didnt notice the other brands/models mentioned, I'll check into those today.

Ricknez

#5 Post by Ricknez »

Simonton is a really old design and extremely bulky. I also dont like the high air infiltration number it has. Simonton is not in the same catagory as the higher end vinyl brands. I just cannot endorse that product.
Yes, do the windows first.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Not really an endorsement of Simonton. Just trying to come up with something nationally available and serviceable that I know not to be total junk. The 9800 does feature triple weatherstripping on the sash profile so it's air leakage should be much improved over the 5500 and lower models. Bill might know the actual number as he is really knowledgable with Simonton.

If the windows are going to be performed as new construction with jamb extensions and nailing flanges the siding crew and the window dealer need to be on the same page as to who is removing the siding around the windows to properly flash and tape everything. I don't like potential finger pointing if there were every a leak. If the existing window frames are being retrofitted and capped (wood tear outs) the siding crew would be doing the capping most likely so that they can tape the capping if bent to a flange profile. That would mean less labor and price from the window contractor.

The OKNA 500 becomes the 550 when it's configured as new construction with a flange.

mvblum1211

#7 Post by mvblum1211 »

Post construction replacement of 80+ year old original wood windows. So windows, then roof and siding. Simple enough. :)

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yes windows first. Have the siding crew do any capping and sealing around the windows.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Softlite Imperial LS, Sunrise Restorations are a couple models that are comparable to the Okna 500 and are pretty widely available. Like the other guys said, this is a different class of product, so expect an appropriate price difference as well.

mvblum1211

#10 Post by mvblum1211 »

I have two window centric installers coming for quotes on windows thos week. Interested in what they offer in regards to product and pricing.

Ricknez

#11 Post by Ricknez »

mvblum1211 wrote:I have two window centric installers coming for quotes on windows thos week. Interested in what they offer in regards to product and pricing.
Sounds good. Which 2 brands are you seeing?

mvblum1211

#12 Post by mvblum1211 »

Ricknez wrote:
mvblum1211 wrote:I have two window centric installers coming for quotes on windows thos week. Interested in what they offer in regards to product and pricing.
Sounds good. Which 2 brands are you seeing?
Okna and Sunrise

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Two of the really good ones there.

Ricknez

#14 Post by Ricknez »

agree , 2 good choices.
both okna and sunrise have narrow frames which gives you more glass area. When i say narrow, they are very solid and dont compromise the structural aspects of the window. They are designed in such a way that they can be narrow but not too narrow to where they look as if they lost substance or weaken the window like some others.
Thats one of the nice things about the okna 800 and 500 series windows.
When you see sunrise, make sure its not the sunrise " essentials".

mvblum1211

#15 Post by mvblum1211 »

Okna dealer was here today, showed me b the 500 and 800 series windows. For my budget and application i dont think i need the 800. I'll see what the cost will be in a day or two. Really looks like a great product.