market for old windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
delacroix

market for old windows

#1 Post by delacroix »

I'm supposed to have my Schuco windows installed next week, and I was wondering if anyone knows whether there is a market for the original windows we're replacing that were made circa 1840.

Window_Shopper

#2 Post by Window_Shopper »

I have no information about someone to buy them, but from watching renovation shows, it's important that your contractor be VERY careful in removing the sashes, chains and weights.

Good luck in selling them. There's probably a restoration buff or dealre out there for you and hopefully the folks who post here will either know one or be one.

Tru_blue

Old Windows

#3 Post by Tru_blue »

Yes there is a market for windows that old. Two different markets, actually.

Many cities have used building supply dealers that sell old windows, doors, lighting, millwork, etc. They'll pay you pennies for them but at least they will be recirculated, for whatever reason.

Better yet, the 2nd market is antique dealers. They usually are not interested in the window sashes as much as they are interested in the glass itself. Glass that age has waves and imperfections that some antique dealers will reuse in antique cabinets, etc.

delacroix

antiques dealer

#4 Post by delacroix »

Anyone know an antiques dealer in the Hunterdon Co, NJ area that might be interested? Glass has waves and all! And there's plenty of windows to go around! (19)