Sliding window replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
resident1

Sliding window replacement

#1 Post by resident1 »

Hi. I will be replacing an old, totally failing sliding window that is about 71 inches by 63 inches.

What I really want is a quiet window that is installed correctly and works well.

I am strongly considering a Pella 350 series with 3mm and 5mm window pane thickness for sound dampening purposes. It has a pretty decent STC rating of 32. The Air Infiltration of 0.06 strikes me as reasonable.

The knock I have read about the Pella 350 series is that it uses a pocket sill for drainage - but does that matter with a sliding window? Do all siding windows use pocket sill designs?

The cost for the offset option with a full tear out install (the existing stool has a bunch of rot from the failed window) is ~$1,500. Pella's product warranty seems OK but the labor warranty is only 2 years.

I have also gotten quotes for:
1) Simonton 5500 Reflections with laminated glass. A full tear out install is $1,840, normal install $1,590. Don't know the STC on this configuration yet, but the installer does warrant labor for the length of Simonton's product warranty which is a little longer than Pella's.
2) Okna Precision Weld - $1,700 with laminated glass (Installer said Okna does not do STC testing for their units). I think their labor warranty is 3 years. I'm a little bit unsure of this installer because they really seem to have few reviews online, which strikes me as strange given they say they have been in business for 34 years.

One question I have is how important is a full tear out install vs. a standard install, given the stool rot I have? Also, in this day and age, is it normal not to have many customer reviews on line?

I'd welcome any other of your thoughts or advice!

Windows on Washington

Re: Sliding window replacement

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are correct that most slider windows are pocket sill designs.

Seems like the numbers are all pretty good in this application and the fact that it is a slider largely eliminates the pocket sill concern with their other operators.

The only concerns I would have would be the QA/QC of the product and installation. If you are comfortable with both of those things, no reason your rationale isn't sound.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Personally i think the pella 350 double hungs have a very cheap look to them and appeared flimsy. I have never seen their sliders but cant imagine them being that much better than their double hungs. As for the Okna, they recently upgraded their sliders with a new monorail system called EZ glide or something or other. Its a really nice feature and definitely enhances the operability of their slider.
As far as STC ratings, most manufacturers use the same laminated glass thickness so those numbers will be relatively similar. The real difference would be in the air infiltration and structural ratings.

resident1

#4 Post by resident1 »

Sorry for the initial cross post on this board, but there seems to be more activity here…

The Pella looks like a vinyl window to me, as does the Okna. The rep showed me the Okna's nice brass rollers, and of course the Pella has plastic ones, although the Pella does not have visible big joint seams.

I don't know jack about window installation, so I have as much comfort that Pella would install the window as well or as poorly as anybody else.

Any thoughts on either a) the need for a full tear-out installation and b) an installer/dealer with a pretty invisible presence on the internet (other than 4 fairly recent BBB complaints) from happy or unhappy customers?

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

I think that Pella is having most of the welds to the interior polished or sanded to give sort of a seamless appearance which is a nice touch. I've never installed the 350 series and probably never will as we offer much more revered vinyl offerings. I think Pella is still utilizing PPG Intercept on the 350 in terms of spacer glazing? That weeping pocket sill on their DH is the "kiss of death" in my opinion. The slider should be fine, however I would expect it to be bulky extrusion wise. Certified Pella installers from one of their retail stores should be at higher standard I would think install knowledge and experience wise.

I like the OKNA sliders regardless of the series. I've not had a problem with one yet.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

The fact that pella are using plastic rollers should tell how much pella ignores quality when it comes to their vinyl products. I woukd never offer something with plastic rollers.
Makes you wonder what else they cut corners with.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Where are you located (regionally) and what are the thermal ratings on that Pella? Honestly I have not seen that recently... Wondering if they achieve the .27 u factor needed for the northern region Energy Star without a using "cheater"(my word) glass packages like 366 or surface 4 low e?

Okna does, Simonton does in casements but not sliders or double hungs. Not sure about that Pella.

resident1

#8 Post by resident1 »

HomeSealed wrote:Where are you located (regionally) and what are the thermal ratings on that Pella? Honestly I have not seen that recently... Wondering if they achieve the .27 u factor needed for the northern region Energy Star without a using "cheater"(my word) glass packages like 366 or surface 4 low e?

Okna does, Simonton does in casements but not sliders or double hungs. Not sure about that Pella.
I am in the North-Central region. U = 0.28, SHGC = 0.28, VLT = 53%.

resident1

#9 Post by resident1 »

masterext wrote:The fact that pella are using plastic rollers should tell how much pella ignores quality when it comes to their vinyl products. I woukd never offer something with plastic rollers.
Makes you wonder what else they cut corners with.
Simonton also uses plastic rollers, I believe. Who else besides Okna has non-plastic rollers on their sliding windows?

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Since you have a price for an Okna slider with laminated glass why not go with that.
The E z glide is an option on the Okna, I would suggest it based on your unit size.

I am a certified Pella installer using their product for 30 years. I would not recommend Pella for a multitude of reasons.