Exterior back door question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
zaoka

Exterior back door question

#1 Post by zaoka »

I am done with windows and remaining is the door.

I need exterior back door with good insulation. Any brand & series recommendation?

Should I go with metal or fiberglass?

Thanks guys!

randy

Re: Exterior back door question

#2 Post by randy »

Prove makes some really nice doors if they’re available in your area. Thermatru is hit and miss, but with a good distributor, can be a good second choice. I prefer fiberglass, but in the northeast steel seems to be more popular. Can’t go too wrong with either one.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Depends, to some extent, where you are located.

I prefer fiberglass in this case, but if the door is a simple design, steel can work just fine too.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Steel is a great option as long as its 20 guage steel which is super strong, the steel doors at home depot and lowes will certainly dent and are just flinsy as heck.
I install plenty of 20 guage steel doors with great success as well as fiberglass doors with hardwood ( oak ) edges NOT pine edges. Pine absorbs moisture and warps which will result in air leakage and cause operational issues when opening and closing the door.
The higher end/ better fiberglass doors will NOT have pine edges, they will have oak, cheery, or mohagany( hardwood edges).
Last edited by masterext on Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.

zaoka

#5 Post by zaoka »

Pittsburgh PA

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I also prefer fiberglass in most cases, but steel is not bad by any means, particular the thicker gauge units.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Benbuilt is a very good ThermaTru fabricator( they will even prepaint or stain the slab only) out of Pittsburgh. If you do TT I would only use the fiberglass with frame saver unless you plan to sell wthin 5 years then you could do steel.

theWindowNerd.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd throw Homeguard, Albany, and HMI out there as a few nice product choices as well

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Budget often plays a part in the final product selection.
Stock sizes and primed prehung units are the base, with some sort of rot resistant jamb.
Then you start spending more for style and prefinished and clad options.
Next is locksets.
Companies like HMI and Homeguard specialize in prefinished higher cost product choices.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#10 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Security is an issue for back doors in many cases. Many thieves would much rather kick in the back door rather than risk getting cut up breaking and crawling thru a broken window.
If security is an issue, then go with a steel door (min. 22 gauge). Fiberglass doors give way to kicking open much easier than a good steel door. Make sure the steel door comes with a heavy steel burglar guard strike as part of the jamb and you will have a very safe and functional back door.