Replacement windows, I think I know what I should do, but...

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
TwoDogNight

Re: Replacement windows, I think I know what I should do, but...

#31 Post by TwoDogNight »

4 quotes in (Soft-Lite Elements, Okna 500, Okna 500/800, Harvey Classic/Tribute). I'm done! Time to make a decision.

I like some of Okna and some of Soft-Lite (okay, I like the single lock/tilt mechanism). Leaning Okna right now. Great quote, seemingly almost too low, but it was recommended dealer/installer when I called Okna (I called to ask about HiMark, but the name they gave me was from a dealer that I won't have in my house based on neighbor comments on their sales tactics), and they have been great with questions and I have references to check.

House as previously stated is in Massachusetts and it faces 243 degrees (so west-south?) with 11 of the 22 windows in living space on the front (13 total counting garage). The garage can be double pane (and even skip the deluxe package), but trying to figure out rest of the windows. Worth having higher SHGC and VT (double pane) for the front windows and putting triples on north and east facing sides? All triple? (groan on less VT with triple & grids). I'm half inclined to also think double is less chance for seal failure and frame issues and likely WAAAY better than my current windows so they would be fine?

Is the 500 frame, which is not reinforced, fine for for triple (extra weight? is it really that much more weight?) or is worth going 800 for triple? Is there a difference in the extrusion thickness?

The money for triple upgrade ($1355 for 22) and the 800 upgrade ($819 for 22) is not an issue. (So why are you asking then, just go triple?)

If the 800 had the Elements single tilt lock, I'd be looking at only 800. Going standard white/white, so no wood grain. Other than that, the numbers seem to be a almost the same (inconsequential differences), and the styling is very similar (styling different exterior profiling) from what I recall. Based on AI, the magnetic seal seems like a gimmic. I do like the brushed nickel hardware shown in brochure with wood grain, but I'm going white, so possibility of hardware upgrade doesn't matter much either. Chevy(Ford, Toyota)/Cadillac(Lincoln, Lexus) is what it seems like to me.

Any and all thoughts/comments/opinions/advise welcomed before I sign!

Thank you for this forum and pro participants. Steered me to a better window.

Windows on Washington

#32 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can't go wrong with any of them. Go with whichever one you like the looks of the best. With any of those choices, it will be the last window you install.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#33 Post by Window4U (IL) »

TwoDogNight wrote:
If the 800 had the Elements single tilt lock, I'd be looking at only 800.
When I carried the Elements I had a lot of service problems with the ILTIS locks. I'm not sure if Elements dealers are still having issues with them, but I'd rather not see another one. I never did find out why it was only the right side ones that went bad.. :shock:

Delaware Mike

#34 Post by Delaware Mike »

Elements Pros: lifetime accidental glass breakage from Soft-Lite, extruded screen, stronger sash meeting rail reinforcement stiffener, sleeker locks with built in tilt actuators.

Envirostar 800dx Pros: sculptured metal lift handles as opposed to "me too" industry vinyl lift rails, magnetic bottom sash seal, lower profile frame and more visible glass, stepped decorative glazing beads with coped joints, dark gray exterior glazing durometer glass seal that won't discolor over time, Anti-drift top sash extrusion design which doesn't allow misalignment of locks and keepers.

Flip a coin, both are excellent. I've not had any issues with the SL locks for the last 6 years. I like the looks of the metal handles on the 800.

spectrum1c

#35 Post by spectrum1c »

TwoDogNight, I live in eastern MA and have no idea how you found all those dealers. Everyone I talk to only seems to want to offer Harvey for vinyl. Strong work!

Could you give us an update on who you ultimately used, which brand/model window, and how happy you are with the windows/installation?