Vinyl Window Install

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
avshockey

Vinyl Window Install

#1 Post by avshockey »

Had hail damage to 6 Milgard vinyl windows that now need to be replaced. I am replacing them with Milgard so they are similar to my original windows.
My question is, should a have them replaced with a new construction window, or a window without the nailing fin? I have 4 inch brick mold/trim around the windows so either way, my siding will not have to be disturbed. I want the best installation possible from rain and air infiltration. Does a replacement window without a nail fin offer the same amount of protection as a window without a nail fin?
Will have to see if my insurance company will agree to pay for a new construction window to be installed, as their will be added cost to have the interior trim removed and replaced.

HomeSealed

Re: Vinyl Window Install

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

avshockey wrote:Had hail damage to 6 Milgard vinyl windows that now need to be replaced. I am replacing them with Milgard so they are similar to my original windows.
My question is, should a have them replaced with a new construction window, or a window without the nailing fin? I have 4 inch brick mold/trim around the windows so either way, my siding will not have to be disturbed. I want the best installation possible from rain and air infiltration. Does a replacement window without a nail fin offer the same amount of protection as a window without a nail fin?
Will have to see if my insurance company will agree to pay for a new construction window to be installed, as their will be added cost to have the interior trim removed and replaced.
Whether a new construction installation is superior or not depends on the quality of the original install-- as a replacement relies on that. Generally speaking though, new construction is more comprehensive in that it is addressing any issues that did exist

TheWindowNerd

Re: Vinyl Window Install

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If this is an insurance claim I would want the windows as good as the old, which includes the visible glass if possible.
A window with out fins can be installed just as water proof as a window with fins.

theWindowNerd