Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Vinyl Window Install
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:45 am 

Had hail damage to 6 Milgard vinyl windows that now need to be replaced. I am replacing them with Milgard so they are similar to my original windows.
My question is, should a have them replaced with a new construction window, or a window without the nailing fin? I have 4 inch brick mold/trim around the windows so either way, my siding will not have to be disturbed. I want the best installation possible from rain and air infiltration. Does a replacement window without a nail fin offer the same amount of protection as a window without a nail fin?
Will have to see if my insurance company will agree to pay for a new construction window to be installed, as their will be added cost to have the interior trim removed and replaced.

Post subject: Re: Vinyl Window Install
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:56 pm 

avshockey wrote:
Had hail damage to 6 Milgard vinyl windows that now need to be replaced. I am replacing them with Milgard so they are similar to my original windows.
My question is, should a have them replaced with a new construction window, or a window without the nailing fin? I have 4 inch brick mold/trim around the windows so either way, my siding will not have to be disturbed. I want the best installation possible from rain and air infiltration. Does a replacement window without a nail fin offer the same amount of protection as a window without a nail fin?
Will have to see if my insurance company will agree to pay for a new construction window to be installed, as their will be added cost to have the interior trim removed and replaced.

Whether a new construction installation is superior or not depends on the quality of the original install-- as a replacement relies on that. Generally speaking though, new construction is more comprehensive in that it is addressing any issues that did exist

Post subject: Re: Vinyl Window Install
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:59 am 

If this is an insurance claim I would want the windows as good as the old, which includes the visible glass if possible.
A window with out fins can be installed just as water proof as a window with fins.

theWindowNerd