International vs. Simonton

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
pvwmillie

International vs. Simonton

#1 Post by pvwmillie »

From what I've read on this site, I believe that the Simonton is a good quality window. Can anyone tell me how much difference there would be in the quality of the Simonton and International Windows. I'm talking horizontal sliders here, for installation in a very mild climate (near San Francisco), so I'm less concerned about insulation than durability. Either window would be installed "new construction" in a wood siding building.
Thanks!javascript:emoticon(':D')
javascript:emoticon(':D')

Cheryl

#2 Post by Cheryl »

International Windows are not typically at the top of the list. Have you seen both products? You are fortunate to be in the Bay Area, you have many,many fine brands from which to choose.

pvwmillie

#3 Post by pvwmillie »

Thanks, Cheryl. Any recommendations? I may have said that one important criteria is that there not be too much vynyl showing because the windows shouldn't look too different from the original aluminum windows--or at least that's what the complex's architectural control committee is mandating. That was why we preferred the Simonton series 7300 over the Milgard. Another consideration is durability.

The only problem with the Simonton is that we're getting a quote of about $970 per window with a nail-on installation, and some of the homeonwers would like to find something less expensive. Does that price seem reasonable to you, or should we be looking for another Simonton installer? Our buildings are wood siding with wood trim around the windows, Windows are about 70" (s) X 40" (h). Our buildings have tucked-under parking, so the bedrooms on even the "first floor" are really on the second floor. The contractor would charge us extra for the rental of a scissor lift, and he would install the new trim, but not paint it (which seems to be standard).

Thanks again for your help.