Help finding a Sliding Patio Door replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Briant73

Help finding a Sliding Patio Door replacement

#1 Post by Briant73 »

Been awhile since I posted, looking to replace my Sliding Patio door and need help figuring out what to look for and expect. I'm in the northwest Pennsylvania region and want a good reliable door the performs well. A contractor recommended going to a local supply house which I did, they had three brands Ply-gem, Viwinco, and Marvin. The person seemed to suggest the best bang for the buck was Viwinco saying it's a beefier (his words) build than the Plygem products. I'm unfamiliar with both Plygem and Viwinco so anything you can share will be helpful.

I'm not looking to break the bank just want a reliable patio door that performs well.

Also I'm in an area where Seaway products are plentiful but haven't looked at them yet.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Help finding a Sliding Patio Door replacement

#2 Post by masterext »

The seaway would be the best choice. Request the " prima vista" series. Its a nice door.

Briant73

#3 Post by Briant73 »

masterext wrote:The seaway would be the best choice. Request the " prima vista" series. Its a nice door.
Thank you, looking at the nfrc site they all seem comparable for air filtration so what makes the seaway a better product?

Also are there any other products I should consider?

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Okna makes a great vinyl sliding glass door.

theWindowNerd.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sunrise, Soft-Lite, and Okna all make quality units.

Briant73

#6 Post by Briant73 »

I did some internet checking and can't find an Okna or Soft Lite dealer/installer in the area (northwest PA) but did find some Sunrise dealers. Any idea how the following all compare: PlyGem, Viwinco, Sunrise, Seaway and should I avoid any of those brands?

Another installer i found installs these brands Kensington Thermal-Tru
Polaris Technologies, are they even worth looking into?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Kensington and the Polaris UltraWeld are both solid doors along with the Sunrise. I would have to imagine that Soft-Lite and Okna are in Northern PA as well because that is well within their coverage map.

Either way, you have some great options in front of you.

Briant73

#8 Post by Briant73 »

Thanks for the responses. How much more expensive are the doors you are recommending than say the run of the mill sllider sold at the big box stores? The reason I ask is we aren't looking to break the bank on the door/install and according to one contractor our current door is not a standard size. I know there are a lot of options that go into a good door/window but also that some companies make a good budget to mid grade priced product.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Any one of the quality doors mentioned above is going to be a decent bit more expensive. That said, it is going to be significantly better.

All I can say about most of the big box store doors is that they are throw aways. We tear them out and replace them all the time.

Briant73

#10 Post by Briant73 »

Windows on Washington wrote:Any one of the quality doors mentioned above is going to be a decent bit more expensive. That said, it is going to be significantly better.

All I can say about most of the big box store doors is that they are throw aways. We tear them out and replace them all the time.
Makes sense just wanted to see if there was some patio door products out there that are no frills but do there job well at decent price. I don't need faux wood trim, designer glass or blinds, just a good door that works so I'll keep looking. Once I have some ideas of actual products and what needs done I'll post back. Thanks to everyone who has responded for the assistance so far!

Briant73

#11 Post by Briant73 »

Latest update:

Spoke to a window person who sells/installs Polaris ultraweld, he confirmed my current door/opening is a bit larger than the standard size. Said he can do standard or custom and gave me some prices for both.

Called OKNA directly after not hearing back to email inquiry, nearest delaer/installer is 2 hours away so that's that.

Stopped in a different supply house who sells Sunrise and Simonton, now this is just buying the unit without install - pricing for the Simonton unit was almost same as polaris installed, and the sunrise was considerably more expensive.

I noticed there is a tax credit through energystar for windows/doors, is there an easy way for me to tell what products meet the requirements for that program? Also for intercept spacer it say's warm edge, is that the stainless one and if not is it worth it go go stainless?
Last edited by Briant73 on Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

In that comparison, I prefer the Sunrise door over the Provia slider.

Briant73

#13 Post by Briant73 »

Windows on Washington wrote:In that comparison, I prefer the Sunrise door over the Provia slider.
Not sure if you mean Polaris instead of Provia but I updated my original message to clear up confusion and give a better comparison. The price for the Polaris unit with full installation was at least 300 cheaper than just buying the Sunrise and I would still have to find an installer for that unit. Would you still recommend the Sunrise over the Polaris then?

Thanks!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#14 Post by masterext »

Sunrise make a nice door. To only save $300 and not go with sunrise just doesnt make any economic sense to me, especially over the course of only 5 years.

Briant73

#15 Post by Briant73 »

masterext wrote:Sunrise make a nice door. To only save $300 and not go with sunrise just doesnt make any economic sense to me, especially over the course of only 5 years.
I'm just a homeowner so I am going to ask between the Polaris Ultraweld, Sunrise and Simonton what makes the Sunrise stand out (especially compared to Polaris)? I wish I could go to a showroom and be knowledgeable enough to know the differences but I don't think their is a showroom around and I'm a novice so whatever you cans share will help.

Also I think I need to explain the pricing I have gotten better because it's not apple to apples. The price for the Polaris Ultraweld is for the door including install (labor and materials). The Simonton and Sunrise product is from a local supply house and is just for the Door unit NOT installed. Talking to a contractor about install he gave me a general estimate let's just say the 300 price difference would probably become at least 550 or more when you factor in install and materials.