Help finding a Sliding Patio Door replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
TheWindowNerd

Re: Help finding a Sliding Patio Door replacement

#16 Post by TheWindowNerd »

It might be best to let the installer order the door.
They then take care of ordering, confirming, delivery. Additional they get a better price, by a little, that is well worth the work they go through and the risk accepted to do those things.

theWindowNerd.

Briant73

#17 Post by Briant73 »

Latest update -

Seaway - I have not contacted them yet because around here they want to do the whole sales pitch and I'm not sure I want to sit through that just for measurements and pricing.

Polaris Ultraweld - Called local company that sells/installs and received the following quotes - standard dual pane $1750, custom size dual pane $2025, and also triple pane standard size $2100. I also spoke to a local supply house that sells thel Polaris Ultraweld with same options(double pane energy star) to me for around $650 for standard size and $800 custom size. Install not included in the price and I would need to double check everything was apple to apples with the door and options but that's what I was quoted over the phone.

Sunrise - Supply house said they usually sell the door for around $2,000 BUT I found a company that sells and installs Sunrise patio doors (the regular line not the essentials) and got pricing for a standard sized door installed which was about the same as the supply house said it would cost for just the door. Price installed $2050.

So my questions are:
1) Do those prices seem in the normal range for those products?

2) Does a patio door usually cost $1100-1300 to install? The price difference on the ultraweld was that large if it's apples to apples. I know there is labor and materials needed but when talking to a contractor I had at the house for some other work he figured $250-300 for install possibly more if the door install needs more work. That's a large difference to me.

3) Comparing Sunrise to Polaris UW I would pay more for sunrise and not have a custom sized door to fit. How much better is that product than the Polaris UW?

Delaware Mike

#18 Post by Delaware Mike »

Any general contractor that would be around $300-$400 on a patio slider install won't be very happy at the end of the day when he loses his pants on that pricing. Disposal of the old door, repairing the rotted sill/threshold, pan flashing it, new trim, mods to the flooring, addition of trim boards, cladding of the trim boards, and tying into the siding correctly are just a few things that are involved with a new slider. These things done correctly can easily be a 10-12 hour day for 2-guys.

Briant73

#19 Post by Briant73 »

Delaware Mike wrote:Any general contractor that would be around $300-$400 on a patio slider install won't be very happy at the end of the day when he loses his pants on that pricing. Disposal of the old door, repairing the rotted sill/threshold, pan flashing it, new trim, mods to the flooring, addition of trim boards, cladding of the trim boards, and tying into the siding correctly are just a few things that are involved with a new slider. These things done correctly can easily be a 10-12 hour day for 2-guys.
That was why I asked because I know installs can vary and wondered if a grand or more for install seemed normal. Just odd the one supply house is selling the Sunrise door for about the price i was quoted by the dealer for the door and install, whereas the Polaris is way cheaper.

Delaware Mike

#20 Post by Delaware Mike »

It really becomes more complicated as each window pro will have completely different operational costs for their business. An installed price for a Sunrise patio slider of $2,050 is a good deal. The Sunrise door is one of the pricier doors out there. I does have one of the nicest handlesets in the industry standard (forever polished brass or brushed nickel) with mulit-point locking.

I've personally installed over a hundred of those doors and really recommend them if a budget will allow. Lately, I've been partial to the OKNA Elegante slider as it cost me less to purchase and has tighter air numbers and requires less time to install as it comes fully assembled. The screen on the Sunrise is the nicest that I've encountered. I can't comment on Polaris as I've not seen their door. My local supply house has the newly designed Simonton slider and the price to me wholesale after their cut was more than any price that I've ever paid for a slider so obtaining a quality slider installed for under about $1,600 is very challenging for homeowners.

If I were a homeowner, I'd want a rock solid material and labor/service warranty on a slider as I've seen so many homeowners hate their previously installed sliders that have given them nothing but problems.