Lots of questions....

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Hosehead

Lots of questions....

#1 Post by Hosehead »

First of all, great site...since I admin a forum, I can greatly appreciate the work put in by the admins...

I am in the market for replacement windows, and it is quite a daunting task...so forgive me if I ramble...

My experience so far...

First salesperson at the house was from Home Depot. So far, from what I have read, I trust the quality of the windows, but I am not so sure of the installers in my area (Central PA), so I am still researching that...
For 14 windows, the estimate was $8500.

Next person was a contractor, who usually uses Alside. He presented Alside Ultramaxx as the top of their line. His estimate was $5600. Quite a difference.

The search continues...but I don't know enough about these brands to be able to figure it all out. This is my first home. While growing up, my late Father was a carpenter, and he always worked with Andersen, but that was a long time ago...

So, at this point, as I continue to search, some other research, (and with a lot of input from this site), I am going to call a local company that installs Simonton (looking for Reflections 5500) so I can get an estimate.

I am looking for guidance from everyone here regarding the best product. I know I will get a lot of differing opinions, but I will try to filter out the salesmanship and try to stick with facts...

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Kevin

WisWindowGuy

Home Depot vs Alside

#2 Post by WisWindowGuy »

I'm not sure who actually makes the windows for Home Depot in your area
and I'd ask them who actually manufactures the units. Places like Home Depot, Lowes, ect. will change suppliers for their windows regularly, so long term ability to get service might be a problem. The units I've seen in my local Home Depot are very low end units. As for the Alside unit, the Ultra-Max is their top of the line unit and a pretty good unit for the money.
The added benefit of the Alside unit is that unlike most other brands, it's usually sold to contractors by an Alside factory distributor. Most other units are sold to contractors by independent distributors, and they have the option of changing the brands they carry, which can make it more difficult for the contractor to help you with service.

windowrep

#3 Post by windowrep »

The ultramaxx is not the top of the line window from alside. their is the sheffield and presevation above that. i would recommend those two windows but never the ultramax or excaliber. good luck

Hosehead

Re: Home Depot vs Alside

#4 Post by Hosehead »

WisWindowGuy wrote:I'm not sure who actually makes the windows for Home Depot in your area and I'd ask them who actually manufactures the units.
Simonton makes the windows at my Home Depot...at least the one's they are trying to sell me...

WisWindowGuy

#5 Post by WisWindowGuy »

windowrep wrote:The ultramaxx is not the top of the line window from alside. their is the sheffield and presevation above that. i would recommend those two windows but never the ultramax or excaliber. good luck
Well you're half right...I wasn't really considering the Preservation window
as it's a limited dealer unit and there's problems, in my opinion with
being a one pony show. The Preservation is usually priced quite a bit higher
than the other units mentioned. LOL...VERY questionable as to the "bang for the buck". The Sheffield is actually an Ultra Max with a sloped sill instead
of a "pocket" sill, and the inside glazing bead does not have the extra lift rail,at the top of the sash. So a Sheffield is actually an Ultra Max and cost very slightly less.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#6 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

A couple of other differences between the Ultra Max and the Sheffield are much lower air infiltration and water test. Alside also makes a 8000 series which is closer to the Preservation, it's basically a sheffield and BTW so is a preservation. The preservation has 1" glass vs 7/8 in the others and has Super Spacer std along with foam in the frame and has a total unit of .17-.19 in double hungs with tri glazing. The price book also shows the Ultra Max and Sheffield to be the same price.

windowrep

#7 Post by windowrep »

so what exactly am i half wrong about? the point is the ultramax is not their top of the line window period.

Hosehead

#8 Post by Hosehead »

OK...the question is not which Alside window is the best...

The question was, how does the Alside Ultramaxx compare with the Simonton 5500 (which is what the HD sells here)? Is the Simonton worth $3000 more than the Alside?

windowrep

#9 Post by windowrep »

sorry, to answer your question, no it is not worth $3000.00 more. that is with all other aspects being equal. ie installation, warranty ect. but what comes into play here is a contractor telling you that the ultramax is the top of the line window for alsides. that tells me he is either being dishonest in telling you this or he has a very limited knowledge in the products that he offers. both of which i personally avoid. good luck

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#10 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

The Alside Sheffield compared to HD's should be equal in quality, so the answer is no. HD is usually too high in price for what you get.
If your serious about Alside ask for a quote on the 8000 series. It is a Sheffield with a block and tackle balancer. The window operates very smooth and has all around good test with some options that get it into the upper shelf in quality.