Full vs Half screens - Okna

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
orchidcrazy

Full vs Half screens - Okna

#1 Post by orchidcrazy »

After 5 or 6 years of hemming and hawing, we signed contracts last week to get 20 Okna DH's, 1 slider, 2 picture windows and 2 patio doors replaced. We live in a 1984 colonial with single pane wood windows.

We are going almond exterior and white interior. I was givrn the option of either full or half screens. Opted for the half so they could be easily removed though be cleaned. We live on a hill, removing and replacing from the outside would be quite a job.

Is there any benefit of full screens that I missed?

Thanks!

TheWindowNerd

Re: Full vs Half screens - Okna

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

easy to remove is the half screen.
Full screen not easy to remove.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

TheWindowNerd is correct. However, if you go with the half-screen (which I prefer), sliding it up and down will typically scratch the tan paint on the exterior.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Excellent point by Randy. In fact, Okna and other manufacturers will typically not offer a half screen with a painted exterior, and if it is ordered, they will not warranty that paint against scratching due to the screen... I like half screens in general, but I advise for full when an exterior color coating is on the build sheet.

orchidcrazy

#5 Post by orchidcrazy »

Thank for the advice! Full screens it is!

Guess there will be no more removing them from inside once a year to wash; a decent vacuuming will have to suffice.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

Full screen will also allow you to vent both Sashes at the same time, bottom and top sashes partially open.
If you run window AC's a full screen needs to be removed a half screen just slid up.