Too many choices; advice sought mid-grade replacement window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
hondochica

Too many choices; advice sought mid-grade replacement window

#1 Post by hondochica »

Greetings;

My head is spinning. I've been chasing this replacement window q for weeks - I can't think anymore!

I need 10 window replacements for my SFH in Milwaukee: 3 DH; 7 sliders (all sliders the same size!).

I have gotten 3 estimates: Okna (I don't remember which); Alside both at @ $5000 (Ouch!) Sunrise at $6300 (Yikes). I had 2 Sunrise windows installed 10 years ago and have been very happy with them; not sure they are so good anymore - and not sure I need "premium" windows

I considered Alliance and a DIY - but my gut is saying "Nooooooo!!!!!" and I have learned to trust my gut (that 'women's intuition').

I have seen recent "specials" for: Berkshire Elite 3 for $1000 installed; can do 3 offers - so 9 windows @ $3K; I like this price!! Will I like the windows??? Another offer for 4 Karma windows installed for $1780 - hmmmmm.

the house is a rental with the original 1954 windows that leak like crazy!! I don't want cheap windows, but dont' know that I want to spend the $$ on "premium" fully transferable warranty type windows either.

Am looking for recommendations for decent "middle-of-the-road" windows; a good company and a good warranty (if not life-time transferable)

Thanks in advance

Kelly

Windows on Washington

Re: Too many choices; advice sought mid-grade replacement window

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sliders are notoriously leaky and a poorly engineered product will really show its weaknesses in this scenario.

Its also entirely likely that your math might be off without crunching their numbers and including any exclusions that they may have in fine print.

Sunrise and Okna are the best of that list. If you haven't contacted HomeSealed, he is your guy in Milwaukee.

I don't here much in terms of the comparisons of companies and that is equally as important as the product selection.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

Totally agree with WoW, HomeSealed is the best resource in the Milwaukee area. He offers a variety of brands, and I’m sure he can help you find the right window for your home and your budget.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

There sliders that have pretty low air infiltration ratings, some as low as 0.04 .
Some of the lower priced companies have many additional add on cost , so beware of that.
Even if don't use Homesealed , I think it would be foolish not to get a few quotes from him.

hondochica

#5 Post by hondochica »

OK - here's an update and real info

Quote 1: 10 basic HiMark by Okna windows installed.
Quote 2: 10 Fusion Alside windows installed.
Quote 3: 10 Sunrise windows (no style identified) installed.
Windows on Washington wrote:Its also entirely likely that your math might be off without crunching their numbers and including any exclusions that they may have in fine print.
Not sure what you mean by this comment; could you elaborate - thanks

I appreciate the comments re: HomeSealed - they are on my list of consideration.

I also got 2 quotes for DIY - and may go back to this route and just find an installer:

DIY Quote 1: Jeld Wen Premium Vinyl: 10 windows only.
DIY Quote 2: Alliance Hawthorne 10 windows only.

any thoughts??

Thanks

Kelly

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

Okna for the first
Am not familiar with Alliance and the Jeld-wen premium is an oxymoron.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Pretty easy choice in my opinion as well. The Okna is the leader in the clubhouse in this comparison.

randy

#8 Post by randy »

When Certainteed was manufacturing windows years ago, they were utilizing independent licensed fabricators across the country. When Certainteed left the market, many of those fabricators got together and formed an alliance to build a new window. The name of the company was Alliance Windows. I’m assuming this is the same. If it is, it’s a lower end vinyl window that is not in the same league as Okna or Sunrise.

Between Okna and Sunrise, I’d go with Okna (assuming the installation details are the same).