Vinyl Window installation question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mrskag

Vinyl Window installation question

#1 Post by mrskag »

We live near the beach in CA and we recently had Amlin vinyl windows installed. After installation of the windows, we noticed that the windows are significantly smaller than the original windows with the vinyl window frames now being very thick. After complaining we were told thats how vinyl windows are installed when you use the existing window frame you have to make the frame thicker to fit over the existing frame which thereby reduces the size of the windows. However, I have friends that have had vinyl windows installed and their window frames are not thick and the window company used their existing window frame without damaging the stucco on the house.. Do you know if that's true that Amlin vinyl windows have to use much thicker frames to fit over the existing frames?

Also, 6 of the 14 windows in various parts of the house has condensation on them. We have confirmed that its not between the glass. This is the first time in 12 years that we have ever had condensation on any windows. Is this normal? I used to have double windows in a condo that I lived in and I never experienced condensation on the windows. Also, my friends who live in moist areas do not have condensation on their windows either.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Vinyl Window installation question

#2 Post by masterext »

When installing replacement windows you will lose some glass. However, 99% of customers who express this initial concern dont even notice it after the installation takes place. it becomes more noticable if the new window is bulky.
Regarding condensation; as long as its not between the glass its not an issue. Its more of a matter if the dew point. Condensation can also result from high humidity levels in the home although i am not sure how much humidity you have in southern cal.
Condensation usually occurs in the morning hours and disappears by noon.

Windows on Washington

Re: Vinyl Window installation question

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

A stucco install is normally completed via what is referred to as a "frame jump". In this case, the new unit is installed inside the frame of the old unit and you can get that bulky look.

This is an unfortunate by product of not wanting to disturb the stucco, but a necessary one if you don't want to open the proverbial can of worms that a stucco installation can be.

On the other point, condensation on the exterior surfaces are quite normal and actually an indication that you windows are working correctly in this case. They are slowing the transfer of heat from the inside of the home to the exterior surface of the glass, and therefore, allowing for dew point to happen.

All in all...this means they were working well.