Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thermal Quality Windows & Doors?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:29 am 

Hello. I am in the process of choosing a brand of windows and an installer. I have had a quote from a roofer who does windows (highly recommended), however he suggests Viwinco windows which do not get good reviews. He also has said he can install any brand of window I choose.

I also have a quote from Thermal Quality Windows and Doors located in Broomall, PA. They also get very good recommendations from neighbors, Angies List, Yelp, etc. They install a Ideal windows, but made to their specs. The salesman brought a sample and it looks like a nice window. I like that the sash is a bit narrower, allowing more light.

I am concerned about Ideal Majestic Double Hung windows. The model is ESM described as a dual pane, double strength 7/8 inch IG, utilizing two layers of Low E coatings on two panes, Argon filled air spaces, Foam Filled Frame and Sashes and Ultra Interceptor Spacer with a .23 U-Factor.

Can anyone comment on Thermal Quality Windows and Doors and their Ideal windows? I have 13 double hung windows and one casement. I already have windows by Simonton (have had problems), Viwinco and Certainteed, installed during previous renovations. I live in suburban Philadelphia.

Post subject: Re: Thermal Quality Windows & Doors?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:41 pm 

You are going to use a roofer to install windows ??????
I strongly recommend against that. Further evidence of a roofer not being suitable for a window install is the fact that he is recommending viwinco which isnt highly regarded.
Do yourself a favor, contact a window pro, not a roofer. I would never recommend a window pro doing a roof. It makes absolutely no sense despite the fact that he is doing it cheaply.
Even though i am not a big fan of Ideal, their exclusive majestic is a decent window, not great buy pretty decent.
Its better than what they sell to regular contractors.

Last edited by masterext on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:18 pm 

Thanks for the response. I am most likely going to hire Thermal Quality to install their windows, although the roofer is highly recommended in the community. I appreciate your endorsement of the Ideal Majestic window. I could not find any reviews for the particular ones carried by Thermal Quality. Guess I will give them a call tomorrow!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:22 pm 

TQ has been around forever, they were once a nice account for Accu-Weld back in the day. You might want to check the CR rating on that Ideal window as it sounds like it has a surface 4 low-e coating which might not be desirable if your house runs on the higher indoor humidity side. Also, some of the Ideal double-hung units that I've seen feature bottom exterior weeps for the irrigation sills. Not a fan of these and typically we see them married with only 2-point weatherstripping and not so great air leakage number.

I've pulled and replaced 20-year old vinyl windows installed by Thermal Quality before and TQ did a nice job capping and caulking them with free hand brickmold bending.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:30 pm 

I am fairly certain the majestic is a welded sill with no weeps unless i didnt notice.

Last edited by masterext on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:28 pm 

Again, thank you. Glad to know Tq is a good company. My house is dry as a desert in the winter due to forced air heat. There is central air in the humid summer months. How do i find out the CR rating on the ideal window?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:56 pm 

Ask the sales person or look in the product literature.
The window I most often use is .01 AI, very air tight, no drafts
With a .26 U

theWindowNerd...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:53 pm 

DustBunny wrote:
Again, thank you. Glad to know Tq is a good company. My house is dry as a desert in the winter due to forced air heat. There is central air in the humid summer months. How do i find out the CR rating on the ideal window?

Dry is a very relative term depending on the exterior temps. We have 95% forced air here in WI as well, but condensation is a rampant issue in the dead of winter. I would give serious consideration to Mike's comments above about the surface 4 low-e coating being undesirable in colder climates. In most cases it is a "trick" used to get a window to qualify for Northern Region Energy Star of .27 u value on a product that is not good enough to meet that without it. There are several products that do meet that with a standard surface 2 or 3 low e coating, I'd direct your attention to those if possible.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:24 pm 

Thanks yet again. The rep from Tq is coming out next week and i will ask about condensation. By the way, what does CR stand for?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:07 pm 

CR is condensation resistance. Ideally you want that number above 56. A good rule of thumb is to request standard lowE / argon without a surface 4 coating. The salesman should know what you mean.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:45 am 

The CR on the window I prefer to use is 62.

theWindowNerd...