Tall Ceilings - Single Hung instead of Double Hung?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
sgong33

Tall Ceilings - Single Hung instead of Double Hung?

#1 Post by sgong33 »

Recently bought a Washington DC Row House, did simple renovations and its time to replace the some crappy aluminum windows. The house has 10ft ceilings and the tops of the windows are 8ft off the ground... so without a ladder, i wouldnt be able to open the top half of a double-hung window...

so my question is, are there any benefits to just getting a single-hung window where the top half is fixed? would it be cheaper? more efficient?

HomeSealed

Re: Tall Ceilings - Single Hung instead of Double Hung?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Yes and no.
Many single hungs are built primarily with cost savings in mind, so there is not the greatest selection of high quality windows in that configuration. Those that are decent, are generally copies of the double hung simply with a fixed upper sash, so there is not much --if any-- cost savings.... Since they are far more common, I'd probably find a double hung that you like from a good company, and then see if they have a single hung version, and if so, if there are any savings to be had.
A key part of that of course, is finding a good company. It sounds like you may be in the service area of Windows on Washington which is one of the best around. I'd definitely reach out.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

You could tilt the lower sash in then lower the upper sash to clean?
Quality window is even more important the larger the window, Windows on Washington = quality!

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote:You could tilt the lower sash in then lower the upper sash to clean?
Good point Todd. Height really doesn't matter, that top sash can come down almost as far as needed prior to tilting.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You have given ahead height, how about a rough width and height?

sgong33

#6 Post by sgong33 »

9 Windows in total, and they are all quite large. (78x40, 78x34, 78x24, 78x24, 70x40, 70x28, 70x24, 70x24, 70x35)

I currenlty have DH's quotes: Simonton 5500 for $5,850 and Simonton Asure for $5,500. I expressed some concern about the thickness and they said they also carried United 4800 and 8000 as basic options. I only want a basic white vinyl, no colors, no inlays, etc.

Any rec's would be appreciated!

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would suggest that you contact Windows on Washington, great team over there.
I would also suggest the Okna 800DX as the window of choice.

theWindowNerd...