out of state choices

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
merri

out of state choices

#1 Post by merri »

Hi, just joined but have been reading quite a bit. I live in SC but have an apartment 12 plex in Grand Forks ND. I have been trying to make choices but it's been difficult. I have had no experience with windows or hiring anybody "but watch them on TV"(couldn't resist). The only quality window I've found available up there that's been recommended is simington. I have no Idea what the cost might be compared to Pella which is the one carried by Lowes and at tleast I could look at it and see the prices. This fall I did order the Pella 350s for the bottom 4 since they were definitely rotten and they were having a sale plus I could get a VA discount. My order was timely and I thought they could be installed this year. I had several other bids one for the lower end window and one from a contractor that carried Thermo Tek out of Minnesota. The difference in bid was$3000 so I went with Pella. All are casement: 4 triple converted to double, 8 double and 4 single $18,000. Any advice.

Windows on Washington

Re: out of state choices

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Is Soft-Lite or Sunrise out there by you? Those are both solid windows.

merri

#3 Post by merri »

Every google hit that appears routes me to Anderson Renewal.

merri

#4 Post by merri »

I should have said it was soft-lite that rerouted. Tried Sunrise and got a hit :P

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

My favorite vinyl window has at least one dealer in ND, though they are dedicated to the CPVC units..
Okna windows, if you found a good installer, perhaps they could get connected with Okna.
Sunrise makes a very good casement, too.

merri

#6 Post by merri »

This is the second time writing this-when I clicked submit I got the sign in page then my stuff was gone GRRRRR.

I tried contacting sunrise and got a call center.

When I called around several days ago I didn't keep track of who said what since they weren't available but one was 200 miles away one 100 and another even further.

I don't know how to pick a contractor long distance. Can't check on previuos or ongoing work and then what about problems down the road. Renters might not even know what would be a problem let alone follow up.

What are the major objections with Pella 250? I'm not paying the heat so my basic qualities are no drafts or heavy condensation along with no problems like crank issues or screens.

Does any one have any knowledge of Thermo Tec from Minnesota.

merri

#7 Post by merri »

oopps... that should be Pella 350.