Decision time on quotes...

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
lklein1976

Decision time on quotes...

#1 Post by lklein1976 »

First off, thank you to this board for helping educate me somewhat on my window search. I had quite a few quotes over the past few weeks. I basically threw out the Alside quotes as after reading this board, they do not seem to be the best quality (despite what the companies who came out tried to convince me). I also did not consider Simonton or Kensington as the Softlite and Okna seemed to be a better choice at little difference in price. I am left with quotes from two companies, one with Softlite Imperial LS and the other Okna. After reading this board, I focused in on these two. I live in the suburbs of Chicago. I cannot afford to do the entire home right now, but focused in on 3 double hung, 3 sliders and a patio door (approximately half of the home). The quotes are as follows:

1- Soft-Lite Imperial LS.....$6,035, double pane with super spacer

2a-Okna 500DX, triple pane on windows, double pane on patio door...$5,598
2b-Okna 500DX, double pane...$5,370
2c-Okna 800DX, triple pane on windows, double pane on patio door...$5,843
2d-Okna 800DX, double pane...$5,618

I liked both installers, have a slight preference, but they both seem reputable and both window brands seem solid.

Questions, any preference regarding build quality, warranty? It seems like the Okna is a better deal. With that said, would it be better to get the double pane 500DX and be able to get an extra window in the house or am I better served to get the triple pane for the cold Chicago winters and finish off the house in time. The one negative I have heard about Okna was the somewhat busy or ornamental exterior. If I am not doing the whole house, will it look funny? Thanks again for everyone's help.

Delaware Mike

Re: Decision time on quotes...

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

The ornate crown molding exterior frame detail of the OKNA 500 & 800 series really gets washed out with at about 15' from the windows. I wouldn't even weigh that into the decision making process. Especially, with any type of white capping added. I like the 800 triple the best for your location. It's less bulk than the LS and has just enough extra flair to warrant the price increase over the 500 in my opinion. The metal lift handles, and nicer glazing beads are a real nice touch.

I've installed thousands of LS units and it's a solid window. I think that there are more than a enough engineering advantages of the 800 over it to make it a no-brainer.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

I like the 800 triple pane if it's my home.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Third vote for the 800. Its a little bit better window in most if not all measurable areas, and at a lower price WITH TRIPLE PANE, Mike's term "no-brainer" seems appropriate... Little difference in thermal performance becomes A LOT from double pane to triple pane.

Can't say that I've heard complaints from anyone about the exterior profile of either the Okna or Softlite models. Both have some detail which most folks seem to like.

lklein1976

#5 Post by lklein1976 »

Thanks. In your estimation, it is worth the extra $500 to upgrade to the 800 AND triple pane. I guess that is the only question at this point. I think my wife will likely ask why don't we do 500 and double pane and get another window for almost the same price.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Over the 6 units for both triple pane and the 800 series upgrade....absolutely.

lklein1976

#7 Post by lklein1976 »

Thanks! So what makes the 800 series better, if the 500 has SLIGHTLY better U-factor rating? Is it just the build quality (magnetic seal, steel reinforcement, and beads)?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

They are both very solid. I prefer the look and the air tightness of the 800 to be honest.

Both great windows.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

The 800 also has a better air infiltration rating as well as a higher structural rating. When you say " just the build quality", thats what makes any product better than another.
The 800 uses a composite ( non metal ) reinforcement which is preferred over metal due to the strong composite material not being conductive.

lklein1976

#10 Post by lklein1976 »

Thanks all.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

For sure the 800DX.
Love the handles instead of lift rail.

theWindowNerd.

lklein1976

#12 Post by lklein1976 »

I would really like to take all your advice and go with the 800-triple pane, but I don't think the wife is buying in. If you had to choose only one upgrade, 800 or triple pane, which would you choose assuming the 500 double pane was the baseline. Better to upgrade to 500-triple pane or 800-double pane. I am located in the Chicago suburbs. Thanks!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#13 Post by masterext »

If you live in am older home ( 1930's) for example, the 800 would look for traditional due to its design. Not that the 500 isnt'nt a nice window because it is. I just feel the okna 800 fits in better with an older home.
We just installed Okna 800 deluxe double hung windows with nickel hardware ,simulated divided lites and it looks really sharp.
Last edited by masterext on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lklein1976

#14 Post by lklein1976 »

masterext

#15 Post by masterext »

Do you currently have slider windows?
Double hungs will go much better.
Im an 800 series fanatic but i still like the 500 a lot. Being that Chicago isnt exactly known for its tropical weather perhaps going with the 500 series in triple pane will be a worthwhile investment. I can definitely endorse that decision.