Triple Pane Window Quote

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Scooter5624

Triple Pane Window Quote

#1 Post by Scooter5624 »

I got a quote for $12K for 21 vinyl triple pane replacement windows + installation from Hansons in SE Michigan. All windows are double-hung with grids. All include some kind of fiberglass skeleton and insulation in the window frame. They are like 72" high and 30" wide.

$581 per window.

Does this seem like a fair price?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Triple Pane Window Quote

#2 Post by masterext »

For triple pane, that is very good pricing.

Scooter5624

#3 Post by Scooter5624 »

Well, I thought so too, but it's an Alside window (I think maybe the Mezzo triple pane). The experts on this forum and others aren't very high on Alside for quality, but the price seems to be right. I have 3 to put through college, so that's a big factor.

The company came with a great recommendation from a friend who had his windows done, and they have good reviews on the Better Business Bureau. I'll probably stick with this one. The other big company is Wallside, and they don't have very good reviews, but lower prices.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Im not big on Alside either, i didnt know they used alside.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Installation will be especially crucial on that size Mezzo as it's frame isn't nearly as strong as what we pros tend to recommend. It has less engineering to it and thinner walls which is why we don't care for it as much. Most of the installs around here that I see being performed with Alside windows are by roofing type contractors that don't want to put their personal guarantee on the product and pass it over to Alside. That doesn't say too much as a business model in my opinion.

Hopefully, the company that is performing your install will do a nice job. I've installed the Mezzo in the past to match up existing Mezzo windows previously installed by a butcher in which they wanted the rest of the windows to match up, but not the bad exterior capping. I was able to make a quality installation with them.

Scooter5624

#6 Post by Scooter5624 »

The company installing them is big in the metro Detroit area. They have good reviews for customer service and do a lot of window jobs, and provide a lifetime 'guarantee' themselves (not from Alside.) I'm going to get a few more quotes to see. The Lowes ReliaBilt 3900 got good reviews on CR, but I saw another comment on here that said to take CR with a grain of salt.

I appreciate that comment and the rest - - not knowing anything at all about windows, this kind of information is very helpful.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Soft-Lite and Sunrise (definitely Sunrise) should be readily available in your area and are top notch performers in their respective triple pane options.

masterext

#8 Post by masterext »

Reliabilt by Lowes is total bottom of the barrel in terms of quality. Absolute junk in my opinion.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You would also do well to look for an Okna dealer.
theWindowNerd.

Scooter5624

#10 Post by Scooter5624 »

I found a Sunrise dealer in the area and set up a quote. I see a lot of love for Okna (Okna 800, etc) on these boards, but I can't find a dealer. I requested a quote directly from the Okna website, so maybe they will dispatch that.

This board is great - - it really allows you to do some due diligence and not go into a transaction with a lot of buyer's remorse.

masterext

#11 Post by masterext »

Thats the kind of feedback we love to hear. The true benefit of this board as well as the sister board is that you are dealing with focused window contractors opposed to a general contractor who installs whatever brand of windows his roofing supplier offers and then touts the brand as good. You wont get that kind of misinformation here.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

That price is exceptionally low for triple pane, but as the other pros alluded to, the product leaves a bit to be desired. Up until a few months ago Alside would not even offer triple pane in that window due to long term durability concerns.

At this point, I have not seen if they have added any reinforcements to strengthen the unit, or if their bean counters have simply decided that the potential number of product failures that may happen is outweighed by a major hit in publicity because the window is not strong enough for the weight of triple pane. I couldn't recommend it either way.