Leaking windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
DFWNTX

Leaking windows

#1 Post by DFWNTX »

Hi everyone, family and I moved to a different home about a half mile from the old one we owned for 13 years...the home we moved to has vinyl windows, which all of the west facing windows were replaced after our major hail storm last April. I joined the forum to see if anyone can assist me in finding out why I have rain water seeping under the bottom of the fixed or non-sliding pane. We moved in in July 2016 and haven't had many rain events with wind driven rain until the past couple of weeks. During two different storms, both of the kids windows leaked on the fixed pane side at the bottom, the windows are identical, right to left slide to open. Rain water seeps under the fixed pane and slowly fills the window channel. I have checked the weep holes and they are clear, the windows are installed and surrounded by brick. The caulking around the frame looks to be very thorough and well done where it meets the house/brick. The fixed side pane, to me, is the one suspect in the leaking. While I cannot see how well it is sealed into the frame, I can see how water may be able to get in. I am going to caulk the exterior fixed pane glass at the frame all the way around, then a couple days after, test it with a hose. I called the window company, but since they were purchased through a contractor they wouldn't help me and I have left messages with the contractor. Any input would be great and thank you!

Windows on Washington

Re: Leaking windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Any chance you can post up a handful of pictures of the inside and outside. Close up and a few feet back are helpful.

DFWNTX

Re: Leaking windows

#3 Post by DFWNTX »

I can do that, I should have a chance to take a few this weekend.