Window Compare

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rixer7

Window Compare

#1 Post by rixer7 »

I have recently gotten several quotes. They are for 8 double hung windows. 4 of them are 106 UI and the other 4 are 94 UI. The first two quotes the salemen talked me out of the triple glass windows and said that they would not do any better than the 2 panes. These companies were were Weathermaster and Window Depot US. Their products seemed very good and very inexpensive at around $3,000.

After the quotes I found this website and started reading and leaned towards a Schuco. I found a dealer and had someone come out for the estimate. It was hurtful at a little over $8,000. That already included a discount. The saleman definitely had me sold until the price. I had set my budget at $3,500 but if the product was good I would have increased it. He showed me the Suprema Plus triple pane with Krypton. WOW what an awesome window.

After seeing the Schuco and reading about I have found a standard to compare now. I am also looking into a company BFRich with their Cabernet Elite line. Anyone know anything about these replacement windows?

What should be a good price point on the Schucos? or is that a good price?

Thanks in advance.

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

1000.00 per windpw is probably too high, I can say, unless the windpws are immense, and those aren't.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'm not too much of a fan of the "swiggle spacer" that BF Rich uses in their windows. Their plant is not far from where I'm at and they seem to have a decent reputation in my area. Around here, only a couple of smaller companies deal with them and a lot of contractors.

rixer7

Decisions Decisions

#4 Post by rixer7 »

Just found out from the first two companies listed above that they use Slocum & Accu-Weld, respectively.

I got a quote from the Slocum with Heat Mirror for $5,000 for the same windows. Read bad things and good things.

Which leads me back to the Schuco. I scheduled another company to give me a price. The company that I got a quote from and the company that is coming out don't read well on this sight for delivery and installation. I don't want to have the second company feel like I am wasting their time by driving out to my house and presenting a product that I have already seen. Should I keep it to myself that I have already seen the windows and love them? or should I call them to see if I can a price over the phone?

This whole shopping for windows thing is mind boggling.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Even if you think that you can't afford the Schuco products, I would encourage you to keep shopping. I think that you can do better than the 3 brands that you mentioned.

rixer7

Schucos

#6 Post by rixer7 »

Thank you guys for your replies. I got a 2nd quote for Schucos @ $5900. That's a $2,500 difference. I am going with the Corona 4000 triple with krypton & grids. I'll update in 10 weeks as to how the install goes.

ineedhelp

#7 Post by ineedhelp »

Just would like to find out if you went to Schuco and what was your experience with the installer as well as the product? Hope that you still read the posts here.

ineedhelp

#8 Post by ineedhelp »

I have gotten quotes from BFRich Vintage and Schuco (80% more expensive)and would shortly get a quote from Simonton windows. I liked Schuco but not at the high price. In fact, Schuco price is closer to Fiberglass price from Pella. Price makes me turn to others.
Anyway, I would be interested in finding out more on your final conclusion and some explanation on it. It would help also.
Should I go and look for another installer on Schuco. There is a single one in Central Jersey.