Problem with New Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Skidude

Problem with New Windows

#1 Post by Skidude »

We recently replaced all the windows in our house with triple-pane vinyl windows. Really pleased with the product and the installation.

Our window cleaners found 2 problems when they were here. One window - a large, fixed, custom window - has some internal dirt between the glass panes - right in the middle of the window.

The other problem is with another, but smaller, fixed custom window. This window has an external scratch in the glass that either happened during shipping or installation.

The window company is great - and they have offered to replace either the triple-pane glazing - or the entire window units - our choice.

Is there any difference in the quality of the finished product we will receive with just replacing the glazing versus the entire unit? The window installation is so neat - I hate to disturb the finished product. However, I do want to end up with the best finished product possible.

HomeSealed

Re: Problem with New Windows

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

On a vinyl window the glazing beads are very simple to snap in and out. The window is easily returned to like new condition. That would be my choice, as like you said, it would disturb a bit more by removing the entire unit.

Glad to hear that the company is making things right. :D

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1.

The glazing bead on fixed windows is easily removable with proper tools and technique.

Skidude

#4 Post by Skidude »

Any chance that just replacing a large, heavy triple pane glass - that the weight of the unit could cause the unit to shift and break the seal? The bottom on the unit is about 12 feet above the deck.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

If the window was designed to carry that weight previously, it should have no issues.

I am sure the manufacturer, if you are ordering the glass from them, will not make the IGU if it won't be safe or work properly.