Painting a Vinyl Window Frame

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jhk49

Painting a Vinyl Window Frame

#1 Post by jhk49 »

My wife and I live in southwest Georgia. We are retired and most of our outside house maintenance is contracted. Our house is cedar sided (dark brown solid stain) with wood windows. The house was built in the late 70's. Although the windows are in fairly good shape for the age of the house, we are considering replacing them for energy savings as well as improving the looks of the house. The curb appeal of our house is important to us.

We would like a low maintenance window such as an aluminum clad exterior with wood on the interior that would ultimately be stained to fit our decor. However, when I checked into the pricing on such a window, I found the price to be much more than a fixed income can handle. I was provided a preliminary quote of $850 (w/o install) for a Pella Proline 450, 36x72 fixed window replacement. These are out of the question for our budget.

As I investigated further, I found that just about all replacement windows that are affordable ($300-400 range) are in vinyl frames. Is it possible to paint vinyl effectively without creating a maintenance nightmare? South Georgia heat/humidity is relentless on the exterior of houses and we would also need to paint the inside frame of the window to match our decor.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can provide their own expertise or experience with these issues.

JHK49
Georgia

toddinmn

Re: Painting a Vinyl Window Frame

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Vinyl Windows can painted at the factory for the exterior..
There are some vinyl that can be painted on the interior but I would try to stay with the beige , white or laminate.
Painted exteriors on vinyl can range from $100 to 200 per
And paintable interior would limit your option on brands and increase cost as well since. Vinyl can get expensive when you start adding options.painting vinyl should only be done at the factory.

Windows on Washington

Re: Painting a Vinyl Window Frame

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to Todd's feedback.

There are options to have vinyl windows factory painted. While I was initially very skeptical of these coatings, I have been amazed by their durability.