Replacement for Single pane windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jasonc90

Replacement for Single pane windows

#1 Post by jasonc90 »

Hi,

I would like some advice if possible. I have a brick home built end of '49 in southern Colorado that has it's original single pane windows that I would like to replace with any standard double pane that is more energy efficient. There is 1 front picture window that does not open that measures inside dimensions 68-1/2" wide x 62" high in the opening. Then there are 5 other's that measure 52" wide x 62" high that have 2 casement windows for ventilation(see pictures). I would like to do it myself without any brick work or a lot of trim work but can't seem to find any stock windows that match this size. I would also like to keep the original character of the house.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1320.JPG
(225.66 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
IMG_1510.jpg
Front
(255.34 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement for Single pane windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Lovely home by the way.

I think you answered your own question. Nothing "stock" is gonna work here. Thankfully...if you find the right supplier...they do make them in nearly infinitely customizable sizes. Not sure those last 3 words are even English.

Long and short of it...totally doable. You just need to order them and deal with a quality manufacturer.

jasonc90

#3 Post by jasonc90 »

Thanks for the information.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree cute home.
You want a good vinyl window, you can get other than white too. Vinyl casements are the tight of any style of vinyl window. So much so when friends said there vinyl casement windw at the kitchen sink was drafty I thought they had drank the cool aid form the window guys.
When I went to measure it leaked like a sieve. So what do you look for, AI .01, .26 U in DP or .2 U in triple pane, life time warranty.
As to the install: I would measure the brick opening smallest point and deduct 1/4" to get my make size. The demo in this project is the worst. If you can get all the fasteners out you might be able to drive the unit out with a block of wood and a small sledge. We normally cut off the casements with a 4.5" grinder, dig out the putty to locate the screws or bolt then remove them. Sometimes it is quicker to remove the glass, take adhesive carpet protector and apply to both side of glass pane then gently break it out.
seal the brick air space, insert the window, square up and fasten, carefully insulate with low expansion foam ( do not over fill the cavity) Caulk the outside with a good selant.

theWindowNerd