100+ Window Replacement advice for Jersey shore motel

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
abewin

100+ Window Replacement advice for Jersey shore motel

#1 Post by abewin »

We want to replace over 100 jalousie windows with double hungs and sliders at a motel in Cape May County NJ. A couple of contractors have suggested Norandex Extreme 3000, and North East Builders Camelot Pro Series. These are within our budget, however, we are concerned about the quality. Any advice on which is better? The Norandex sample seemed to be better looking and better built, however we were advised that the Northeast window has slightly better specs and we were offered lifetime glass breakage warranty by the North East seller even though this is for a commercial application. I'm a bit concerned that both these options might be a poor choice. I'd love to get feedback on which is better and whether there are comparably priced (or slightly higher priced) models that we should be considering instead. Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: 100+ Window Replacement advice for Jersey shore motel

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What is your budget to start with?

Any pictures of the openings?

What is your timeline for the project?

To tell you the truth, neither are well regarded and the the NE product is the lesser of the two in that bunch as well.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

You have a few options available as far as " better brands" are concerned. My good friend
" delaware mike" may serve your area. He is a pro that frequents this board and he may able to give you some more insight. Search his name on the boards search feature and click his contact button. At the very least, i would talk to him. He is a great guy and an outstanding window contractor.

abewin

#4 Post by abewin »

Don't have photos at the moment but:
About fifty widows will be bathroom frosted sliders for openings of: 28x22 and 30x31
The rest are for varying sizes of single and twin double hungs 29x50, 58x48, openings etc.
Lastly there are 6 to 8 large openings for a triple window install for openings of 119x50, 107x55, 95x55.

We received quotes for labor+windows of about 35k to 40k.
We received windows quotes ranging from $135 to $475 for the above size ranges (those are per opening prices)

$35-$40k for the entire project would make it doable for us in one shot, but if we are getting low quality problematic windows, then we would need to rethink things and perhaps do the project in 2 phases depending on the cost increase for a better product.

Timeline is to get it all done by end of April, with some ability to tolerate delay on certain building sections.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

$135 will get you seran wrap if you are lucky. In all my years, i have yet to see anything quality oriented for anything less than 400 per opening and thats cutting it close.

abewin

#6 Post by abewin »

Thanks, that's a huge price difference. I was concerned about being quoted bottom of the barrel stuff. But we can't afford $400 per window either. Is there anything in between we we might consider?

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

With a company that has a reasonably good reputation and an entry level product, $400-$500 is bottom of the barrel. Normally $400 would even be out of reach, but you may be able to find something due to the high volume... I'd be seriously concerned with anything less than that. Last time I checked even the "bargain" type companies like Window World are in the $400's range once installed

masterext

#8 Post by masterext »

Homesealed made a great point about window world. After window world add in items such as lowE glass, argon, capping, and disposal fee's, the final price is over $400.
That low ball 189 per window pricing is about as legitimate as a gypsy selling rolex watches.

abewin

#9 Post by abewin »

Thanks that's interesting. In my case the highest estimate I got for window + installation was ~$370 on the small and medium size windows. Three different contractors had given me the low end prices so I had thought that was normal! Then again, perhaps it is not uncommon for them to cater to real estate flippers and small businesses who require the absolute cheapest stuff.

We will likely still have to go low end at least for the bathroom windows due to budget. I hope that won't end in disaster. If there are any recommendations for budget range bathroom sliders or (other type of windows, opening 28x22) I'd be obliged. Thanks.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Those numbers you are throwing out scare the be-jeezers out of me. I don't know how you do a quality window at that price and don't cut corners on a massive scale.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

These quotes are materials only? I would charge more than $135 just on the install.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I love Cape May and might consider a lifetime barter :roll:
You'll need to move quickly if you want to be done before the early season starts.
Commercial volume jobs are much different than retail.
My favorite product in vinyl is Okna.

theWindowNerd.