Comparing Window Styles

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Digital Man

Comparing Window Styles

#1 Post by Digital Man »

Our current house has mostly wood sliders with a few single hungs. We are replacing them all with premium vinyl, most likely Sunrise or Soft-Lite. I really don't have any clue if we should get sliders, single hungs or double hungs. I'm not really a fan of casements for some reason. I know double hungs are better for cleaning.

If it matters, here are the measurements of all the windows we are replacing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Are there general guidelines that you use to help people decide which style is better if they don't have a preference?

Within a window line, how does the performance vary between the styles?

Within a window line, how does the cost vary between the styles?

Which style typically has the best performance / cost ratio?

Thanks.

HomeSealed

Re: Comparing Window Styles

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Nothing too incredibly scientific.
A few points to consider:

-Single hungs are most often used when cost is a factor (think new construction), therefore they typically suffer in performance and options. There are a few exceptions, but that is the general rule.

-Sliders are generally used when the opening is wider than it is tall. DH's look funny in that orientations.

-Slider by nature have a pocket sill design which is not ideal, and also are outperformed by double hungs, particularly in air leakage on a per window basis. There is certainly an argument to be made however if the choice is a twin dh (two dh's mulled in one opening) vs a single slider.

-To answer the question, dh's are the most common window by far, and therefore are the focus of most manufacturers when it comes to product development, option content, performance, etc. If you could say that one window has the best performance/cost ratio (excluding casements and fixed units), double hungs would be that in most cases.