Pella 250/350 vs Okna 500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
KnowNothing

Pella 250/350 vs Okna 500

#1 Post by KnowNothing »

Hi,

Newbie here. HI all.

I'm going to replace around 12 double hung and 1 picture old Alum. windows. I don't have an exact quote for Pella, but I was quoted $4k for Okna 500 series with foam, low-E and argon (12 dbl hung and a picture).

Anyone can comment if Pella 350 is comparable to Okna 500? any gotcha with Okna?

Thanks
N

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Pella 250/350 vs Okna 500

#2 Post by masterext »

First off, pella make a low grade window. No pro here will ever recommend that.
Second, an authorized okna dealer is installing 13 windows for 4k !! No way!!
The dealer would be losing a boat load of money. Hard to take your post seriously.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Performance data and reputation both show the okna as the much better product. The price definitely seems sketchy though. Is that product only with no install? If not, I'd actually worry about this company going out of business before your installation would occur. That number is not feasible for even an economy grade product from a legitimate company, let alone a top performer

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Pocket sill vs. sloped sill.

Automatic disqualifier in my opinion and I would echo the statements of the previous posters that there is something going on with the price. You physically, cannot do that job for that kind of price unless you are buying the work.

KnowNothing

#5 Post by KnowNothing »

Thanks for your replies. I'm sorry for didn't give additional details.

Which one has sloped sill? I guess it is better? (obviously I don't have a clue)

I was quoted for just the windows, not including installation. It is 500 series , doubler pane, foam filled and Argon. I tried to compare the air infiltration numbers, but Pella and Okna use different units. It is hard for me to compare the numbers.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

The Okna has a fully welded sloped sill which is a MUCH better design than the cheaply made pocket sill that pella uses on the 350.
The air infiltration rating on the Okna is also much better by a mile. Pella has a very high/ poor air infiltration rating.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

KnowNothing wrote:Thanks for your replies. I'm sorry for didn't give additional details.

Which one has sloped sill? I guess it is better? (obviously I don't have a clue)

I was quoted for just the windows, not including installation. It is 500 series , doubler pane, foam filled and Argon. I tried to compare the air infiltration numbers, but Pella and Okna use different units. It is hard for me to compare the numbers.
That's a relief! lol... Honestly that is still an aggressive price for product only, I'd jump on that. Masterest explained the sloped sill situation above.

KnowNothing

#8 Post by KnowNothing »

I like the air infiltration number from Okna also. It claims that the 500 series has 0.02 while the 350 Pella is something like 0.15. I think I'll go for the 500 series.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

Pella dropped the ball on the 350 design. I think that thing is a mess. I was checking it out in Lowes today. An irrigation sill on a double hung non-costal window makes zero sense. We were tearing out pocket sill 15-year vinyl new construction windows all week long and I recycle all of the vinyl that I remove. We were cutting the master frames down for removal of the balances and easy loading. The amount of dirt, debris, and stink bugs that hang out in those pockets is unbelievable.

You will love the 500's by the way.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds like a good outcome. Be sure to post up some pictures of the before and after if you can.