Window Help

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Anthony

Window Help

#1 Post by Anthony »

I'm in the process of replacing a large bow window in my home and am looking for some input. I've had 7 different window quotes and can't seem to narrow down which one to go with. All options are vinyl except one which is a fibrex material from RBA. I guess I'm looking for some input on which window company will be the best choice. These are my options as of right now: Okna, Softlite, Renewal by Anderson, Pinnacle by Lindsay, and Preservation. I live in the Midwest where the climate fluctuates. All window quotes were based on casement style windows with crank outs. Any input would be of great help. This is a large investment so I just want to make the right desision. Thanks.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Window Help

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I think your best choices would be Okna or Soft-Lite as far as great product.
Now you have to decide on the best contractor for the project. Be just as diligent in vetting the installation as you were about product.

theWindowNerd.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

7 quotes....are you exhausted?

Which company did you like the best?

Anthony

#4 Post by Anthony »

Yes, I'm a little exhausted to say the least...lol. I just want be certain I make the right choice. Right now I'm leaning towards Okna, however my concern is that they're a pretty small company and I would hate to have warranty issues later down the road that they can no longer honor because they're out of business.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

They aren't that "small" and the idea that too big to fail has been proven incorrect over the last decade.

If the product is well engineered, both it and the company that made it should be around.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am in there factory every couple of weeks.
I see the owners sons working in the business.
I see new product development.
They are very strong and conservative.
There are few iron clad guarantees.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

Why is everyone so concerned about a company being large? A larger company has more moving parts and much higher overhead; that means more of a chance to run into financial trouble. A smaller/leaner company is usually more resistant to the ebb and flows of the economy.
if a company has been around more than 10 years and has no debt, you are fine.
Take a look at Sears. Hows that for a large company?

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Okna is probably my choice on this one, with the softlite casement being very good as well. Softlite's Elements double hung is excellent, but in casements, okna and sunrise restorations are my favs.

As far as size, I believe that Lindsay is probably the smallest. Okna and Softlite are both in Remodeling magazine top 100 manufacturers for volume, both in the same category. Softlite was just bought out by Harvey, so that may change now. The two real big ones here are Alside and Renewal, but neither are top performers.