windows that don't work any more

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
BETTYH12

windows that don't work any more

#1 Post by BETTYH12 »

I had vinyl replacement windows installed about 30 years ago and I have got several that don't work right anymore. The man that sold them to me is long dead and I can't find any info. on the warrant, but I do remember it told me they wold replace them free for life. I am 68 years old and handicapped and I really need to get these fixed. I have 7 that will not stay up, 1 that the window is comining out of the vinyl it also will not stay up. most of them are 45 ins. length and 58 wide on the out side of the frame. I have a tag off of them that says Reynolds Medal Company, Richmond, Virginia and there are numbers and letter HG E F ser#11.
Please let me know what can be done.

Thank you,
Betty F. Henning

Windows on Washington

Re: windows that don't work any more

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Betty,

Where is the home located? You are going to have a tough time sourcing parts for windows that are 30 years in some cases, but Blaine Hardware can probably help you out.

BETTYH12

#3 Post by BETTYH12 »

I live in Pfafftown, NC 27040. just outside of Winston Salem, NC Are they still under warrenty and I don't have alot of money just Social Security and a small pension from where I worked until I geot disabilited.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Betty, that should be a Norandex Reynolds window. I'd imagine that there is a distribution center somewhere in your area, but you can look up a local dealer here: http://www.norandexhome.com/dealer_locator

Please keep in mind that tool will direct you to someone that installs products made by that manufacturer and has nothing else to do with your original window installation nor would they be obligated to honor a warranty, however they may be able to point you in the right direction. At 30 years there is a host of reasons that there may or may not be coverage, in addition to the fact that those windows have probably reached their life expectancy, but worth a try nonetheless.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

I'd agree ,via have never seen a Reynolds wind worth repairing yet.

BETTYH12

#6 Post by BETTYH12 »

But if they had a life time warranty on them should they not be covered. It said nothing about number of years. I still have the house and it is not dead so the windows are still alive too. I buy something with a life time warranty and I want them fixed. I am getting to old to live in a house that I can't raise a window or wash them as the back of my house is over top a drive in basement.
What would you expect a life time warranty to mean.
I paid alot for these window with the idea if they broke they would be fixed and I would not have to worry, but I guess when they get old and don't work they are no good, sore of like me. I am old and I can't work due to a surgery that went wrong 8 years ago and I am just getting to where I can get around a little. I layed flat on my back for over a year before I could even turn over, I need my windows fixed.
Betty Henning

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Betty,

I am afraid the enforceability of a "Lifetime" warranty varies from state to state. You would need to check with NC on what they define as a Lifetime warranty in this case.

I am going to guess that they aren't going to call it 30 years. I think VA calls it 7 years in the case of construction materials, but don't quote me on that.

We have still serviced, as have our vendors, materials installed that are nearly 15 years old at this point. Hopefully the folks at Norandex will have a similar take on your window issues.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Since you expect the warranty to honored I hope you have done your part. Do you have the contract/receipt and a written copy of the warranty?

How are the windows supposed to operate? Up and down, slide side to side?
If the go up and down you can probably hire someone to replace the balances( more than likely spiral).

Perhaps you can find someone at your place of worship that can help.

theWindowNerd.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Lifetime is 30 years for us here in WI. As WOW said, it will vary state to state. There could certainly be an argument made on what "lifetime" should mean, however I will say that 30 years for any window is pretty good. That said, I think that anyone would be sympathetic to your situation. As I suggested above, I'd follow the channels of contact to see where it takes you