Need help on which way to go. SW of Philadelphia, PA

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
BD1234

Need help on which way to go. SW of Philadelphia, PA

#1 Post by BD1234 »

Hello. First time window shopper. Been doing research and have gotten 5 quotes and now more confused than ever. The house is a 18 year old ranch with vinyl windows, vinyl siding, and shutters by windows on front of house located SW of Philadelphia, PA. I have 20 windows with wood sill and drywall surrounds: 17 Double Hung, 1 1/2 Round, 2 metal sliders in basement, and also 1 sliding door. Final install will be 16 Double Hung, 1 1/2 Round, 1 Casement, 2 Awning, and sliding door. Please give me some insight on the info below. Thanks for any help and understanding.

First 3 came and said no problem. Will cut out old windows and install new replacements in opening while leaving siding and hopefully inside trim untouched. Then had another quote and was told in no way to install replacements in my case and that they would have to remove shutters, cut back siding to expose flange, remove and replace with new, tape and install flashing as needed to fill for removed siding. Last one came and said similar except he would be removing siding, remove windows, cut back drywall and sill to make room for thicker window, installing new flanged windows, and reinstall siding. Meaning lots of extra work and more cost.

Replacement Vinyl Windows
1 - From a general contractor - United Windows installed and install for a sliding door that I purchase. $9,900
2 - A window company - Ideal Majestic ESM Plus windows and sliding door. $11,550
3 - A window company - New Okna 400 windows. $12,376, 6ft sliding door with internal blinds $2,846, Total $15,222

New Construction Vinyl Windows
4 - A window company - ProVia Endure Windows and sliding door with internal blinds. $18,000
5 - From a general contractor - Southwest Vinyl Windows, No quote yet but was told for complexity of the job that it would be between $800 to $1000 per window. Didn't talk about slider price.
Attachments
IMAG18202.jpg
(237.95 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
IMAG18192.jpg
(222.39 KiB) Downloaded 126 times

Delaware Mike

Re: Need help on which way to go. SW of Philadelphia, PA

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

The outfit recommending the method with the ProVia window really has the best technique as everything will look just as it does not except a much nicer looking window. Sounds like they're doing just what we do and install the exact same sized flanged window. This gives them a chance to inspect your rough opening and sheathing, pan flash the rough sill, spray foam the new window in, and tape flash the flanges of the new window. We also bring new j-channel.

The other methods will all change the look of the house quite a bit, especially with a down sized windows and express method. If one just cuts back the siding they will then be adding trim boards which changes the placement of the shutters too. Either way, one of the benefits of the the better method is that they is no visual capping or caulking to get dirty over time.

We do one of these installations per month and I wouldn't do it any other way personally if it were my house.

Might be worth looking for a veteran window pro that can get you a price on the OKNA 550 or 800 with flanges, Soft-Lite LS/Elements, or maybe the Thermal Energex flanged. ProVia gets top dollar for their product and it's no nicer than any of the series that I just mentioned.

Another benefit of having some of the siding dropped around the window areas is the ability to look at your WRB (Tyvek) to see it's condition. Many homes of that age might not have any or had a foil skinned budget sheathed wall. It can be an opportunity to tighten up the wall cavity a tad.

BD1234

#3 Post by BD1234 »

Thank you. I guess my search continues. The method you prefer is the Southwest window one as the ProVia one wants to cutback the siding. It makes sense after being informed to do it this way but was hoping the other was OK for cost purposes. We plan on being here a long time so we should do it right.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

The guy replying to your post (Delaware Mike), most likely serves your are, and you won’t find a more experienced professional than him. I’d recommend clicking on the “get a quote” button under his picture and let him show you his products and installation methods.

BD1234

#5 Post by BD1234 »

Thanks. I just did.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

DM is the best.

theWindowNerd.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Another vote for Mike at JMJ.

Great guy and finish quality. We have worked together in the past and he is great.

Really....all the pros on this board are the top flight of the entire industry.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Another vote for Mike. True craftsman, all-around good guy.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

Quick update. The homeowner has a relative that is going to take care of his project for him when he slows down. He was very nice and open about this to me, and will keep me in mind if things don't work out.

Thank you to all my fellow colleagues for the vote of confidence.

randy

#10 Post by randy »

I hope things work out for him. When someone says "We plan on being here a long time so we should do it right.” I don’t generally think of having a friend/relative who isn’t a professional in this particular field of work do the job.

BD1234

#11 Post by BD1234 »

Thanks guys. Yes a relative of mine is as of now going to be doing the work. He is a professional in this also. He doesn't usually work in my area but I went over my quotes with him and he and his crew will be coming once he slows down early summer. This all happened between posting here and speaking with Mike. I did speak with Mike briefly and sent some emails. He seems very knowledgeable and his works looks great. If my relative wasn't doing this I would have invited Mike out and most likely gone with him as I didn't get any warm and fuzzy feelings with any others that has come out. Thanks again to Mike and the rest of you. Hopefully all goes well and I never need windows again.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

That's great that you have a family friend/member that does windows.

Keep in mind, tall fences make for good neighbors. I have seen more than a handful of family projects go off the rails and create massive fissures in the family.

Just food for thought and if nothing else, make sure everything is well understood as to what is going to happen.