Replacing just the Insulated Glass Unit

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rixer7

Replacing just the Insulated Glass Unit

#1 Post by rixer7 »

Is there a company out there that would replace just the glass pack?

Reading this forum has me scared about installers ripping out my windows and replacing them with GREAT windows but doing a terrible install.

I don't think that I have an air infiltration problem. My windows let in too much heat and if I didn't have a dog that enjoys scratching at my windows when someone walks by I would get window film. So that's out of the question.

I've gotten prices for Schuco, Accu-weld, Slocumb, and have Alside Preservation coming tonight.

How do you choose a reputable installer if I can't just get the glass pack?

XSleeper

#2 Post by XSleeper »

A glass company would be able to tell you if your windows can have just the glass replaced. It all depends on the style of your current windows.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#3 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

If you choose just to replace glass remember that won't help a loose fitting window. If you now have thermopanes and they are at least 5/8" they can be replaced with double glazed low-e and argon, which would roughly double your r-value. The cost here in Wisconsin is about $15.00 a square foot including labor. If they are single pane............forget it. Now just do the math.