Quote SW Ohio

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
oanagody

Quote SW Ohio

#1 Post by oanagody »

I am doing research on window and patio door replacements for a 1974 house and am getting dizzy. I feel one needs a PhD to understand all there is to understand about window replacement - and it's not a decision that comes cheap.
We'll do the project in installments, for financial reasons, but altogether we need replacing 13 windows and 3 patio doors.
Right now I am in the market for replacements for 5 double hung doors, 2 tall and narrow casement windows (but we could go double hung there too) and a patio door.
I narrowed it down to Pella 250 vs. Polaris Ultraweld. We got an estimate from a local installation company with very good reviews since I gathered that installation is crucial to the overall result. The other estimate was from a Pella dealer who just told us they work 'wth local installers.' The first guy encouraged us to consider Thermaweld because of its thinner frame, but my husband and I decided on the Ultraweld. However, now that we realized that his estimate ($4000 for everything) was for replacement windows, not full-frame, we're worried since the Ultraweld is bulkier and we don't want to lose glass space. The two tall and narrow casement windows particularly will look bad. The Pella 250 estimate is $7000 for the same work.
Any thoughts on the Polaris/Pella choice? I did look at the specs online and did not see dramatic differences to justify the price.
Do we go with the Thermalweld as a replacement window and upgrade to triple pane? Do choose Ultraweld and do full-frame replacement just for the casement windows and stick with the inserts for the rest?
Or do you know of another regional brand available in SW Ohio that has narrower profiles and comparable specs with the Polaris (I don't know anything about Okna)?
Thanks.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Quote SW Ohio

#2 Post by masterext »

No one here is going to recommend or endorse the pella 250.
Soft lite is made in Ohio and they are very good windows. Just north of you, Sunrise windows are manufactured. Both of those names would definitely be worth considering.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

The UltraWeld does run on the thicker side of the equation, but it a great window.

Being in Ohio, Soft-Lite, Okna, and Sunrise should all be readily available.

oanagody

#4 Post by oanagody »

Windows on Washington wrote:The UltraWeld does run on the thicker side of the equation, but it a great window.

I read that Okna is a new company who may or may not stay in business. I like the look of their 800 line! Between Okna 800 and Soft-Lite Elements, what would you recommend? Tripe pane for the price of double pane is quite attractive.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

oanagody wrote:
Windows on Washington wrote:The UltraWeld does run on the thicker side of the equation, but it a great window.

I read that Okna is a new company who may or may not stay in business. I like the look of their 800 line! Between Okna 800 and Soft-Lite Elements, what would you recommend? Tripe pane for the price of double pane is quite attractive.
That article must have been from about 15 years ago and written by a competitor on top of it.

No issues with Okna and they are probably one of the most financially solvent companies out there right now.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

+1.... that's the type of thing that competitors have to resort to when the product is excellent and there is no factual basis for criticism. They have been in business over 20 years and grew through the recession (and continue to). No worries there.

On product choices, I agree with the others as well. Drop the pella. Ultraweld is the choice from POLARIS, otherwise okna, sunrise, softlite produce top performers as well... pay attention to performance ratings. U value, shgc, air leakeage, dp, condensation resistance. It the only truly objective comparison

oanagody

#7 Post by oanagody »

HomeSealed wrote:+1.... that's the type of thing that competitors have to resort to when the product is excellent and there is no factual basis for criticism. They have been in business over 20 years and grew through the recession (and continue to). No worries there.

On product choices, I agree with the others as well. Drop the pella. Ultraweld is the choice from POLARIS, otherwise okna, sunrise, softlite produce top performers as well... pay attention to performance ratings. U value, shgc, air leakeage, dp, condensation resistance. It the only truly objective comparison
I found a Softlite dealer who'll visit on Friday. The Polaris installer contacted me the other day trying to tell me that if I upgrade the Thermaweld it would be just as good as an Okna or a Softlite but narrower (he does not install anything other than Polaris or Pella). Does this sound right?
Also, does it matter if our old windows were wood? Should we do a full frame replacement or are insert windows ok, as long as we don't lose to much glass area?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

ThermalWeld is a nice unit, but not on the level with the nicer Okna and Soft-Lite windows.

He is incorrect in that part.

Take a look at the Soft-Lite Element/Imperial LS and let us know what you think.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

The Thermalweld is now the Dynaweld and is there entry level window now.
The Thermalweld Plus is there all new mid grade window.
It is a nice looking unit with slimmer lines than the Ultraweld.
The Ultraweld is the same.
I would ask to see the Thermalweld Plus as it just went into production.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Forgot about the new unit. Haven't seen it yet.

What did you think of it?

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

I think it would be safe to say it'll be pretty good at what it does.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:I think it would be safe to say it'll be pretty good at what it does.
That is a fantastically brilliant way of putting it.

You do realize that the trademark dollars are racking up every time you say that.

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

It would be very close to the Pro-Via Endure, but better of course.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

oanagody wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:+1.... that's the type of thing that competitors have to resort to when the product is excellent and there is no factual basis for criticism. They have been in business over 20 years and grew through the recession (and continue to). No worries there.

I found a Softlite dealer who'll visit on Friday. The Polaris installer contacted me the other day trying to tell me that if I upgrade the Thermaweld it would be just as good as an Okna or a Softlite but narrower (he does not install anything other than Polaris or Pella). Does this sound right?
Also, does it matter if our old windows were wood? Should we do a full frame replacement or are insert windows ok, as long as we don't lose to much glass area?
The top Okna and Softlite units are a half step ahead of even the Ultraweld IMO, so no, I would not say that sounds right. The Okna frames are pretty narrow as well.
I've not seen the new mid-grade Polaris yet, although it must be safe to say that it its not as good as the Ultraweld if they chose to slot it below rather than above it... I will say in the past that I had no use at all for the ThermalWeld, so if this new product is upgraded, it may at least be worth consideration if the price is right.

oanagody

#15 Post by oanagody »

Ok, I'm narrowing it down.
The project involves 5 double hung windows of different sizes plus one patio door.
The finalists are Softlite Elements: triple pane (there is some deal going on until the end of 2017 so we get this upgrade for free) $5200 vs. Polaris Ultraweld double pane Low E windows with argon gas, $4500.
The sliding doors are Softlite Kingsroyal Glide vs. Polaris Ultraweld patio door.

The Softlite will be about $700 more expensive total, but we are getting triple pane. Is the price difference worth it?
Thank you again for all your help navigating this decision. I almost feel like I should go ahead and replace all the windows in the house, before I forget everything I learned in the process. :)