west coast window problems

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
keland

west coast window problems

#1 Post by keland »

I have had 3 estimates, 26 windows, live in central California 100+ summer 30+ winters, had Anlin windows installed in old house was happy... but now the company that installed them no long sells them only tripple pane! 24,000!!!!! so I called 2 Anlin dealers one for 16,000 and one for 14,000. NOW here is where it gets crazy my uncle works for HomeDept and said he would install all the windows for me. but homedept only sales Jeld-Wen windows and from the internet looks like Anlin windows are the better. WHAT IN THE WORLD SHOULD I DO!!!!!!!! THANKS WINDOW GODS!

randy

#2 Post by randy »

Anlin is a regional window, so I don't know anything about it. The fact that you have had them before and were happy should be a big plus. It seems like the vast majority of the postings regarding Anlin have been positive.

If the Jeld-Wen vinyl windows are the Summit line, run. They are a poor window, and certainly not worthy of consideration if this is a home you plan to stay in for four or more years.

I would recommend you contact Anlin directly and ask them for some contractor recommendations.

keland

#3 Post by keland »

So are Triple windows over kill on the west coast? krypton/ argon gases not needed? company says triple pane windows have .1 u factor and Anlin are .29. Ca energy star is .34 and under?

randy

#4 Post by randy »

With the temperature norms that you posted, I assume you are in Southern California. If so, I would recommend that you take a look at the SHGC (solar heat gain coefficient) of the windows, rather than looking at the U-Factor only. Chances are, you can get a SHGC of .28 or .29 with double pane glass and maybe a .24 with triple pane glass. In my opinion, unless the triple panes are no more than 20% more than the double pane, I would not upgrade to triples.

Generally, Argon gas is included with Low-E tinted windows and therefore should be in your windows.