Tempered Glass

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
IWon

Tempered Glass

#1 Post by IWon »

My windows are only 12 inches off the floor. Some window contractors say I need temper glass and others say no. I talked to the building codes and they said if the window is more than 9 square feet it needs to be tempered if its less no tempered, and my windows are less than 9 square feet. The window contractor that I want to hire says he will not take the temper out because how low they are to the floor, and if something ever was to happen he would be responsible for it. Would this be true or not.

HomeSealed

Re: Tempered Glass

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

They may have a company policy developed due to the fact that municipalities can enforce standards above and beyond code (such as ignoring the 9 sq ft rule), and also potential liability, real or perceived. That is definitely not the craziest thing that I've ever heard...

That said, if 1) You have enough windows to make this a significant added expense 2) You have confirmation for your local building dept that they will not require it if under the 9 sq ft rule, and 3) You don't have personal concerns for safety given how close they are to the floor (this is something to consider as well), then perhaps you can just let him know that it will disqualify him from winning he job if he is unwilling to provide these with tempered glass.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

Tempered glass costs can add up quickly. If you don’t want the uncharge, tell your preferred contractor to put a clause in the contract absolving him of any (wrongly perceived) liability in the future due to not using tempered glass in windows where it’s not required by building code.

Another option would be to let the contractor know that since it’s his personal preference, he can include it for free. This way he can sleep better at night knowing your family is safe. :lol:

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If they are DH you would only have to do the lower sash. That is half the cost of full tempered.

theWindowNerd.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

Whith his logic he would then be responsible for not tempering all Windows. The reason they temper them over 9 square feet is it's considered a walk through hazard. Might not be to expensive, and perhaps a small price to pay for using a preferred installer.