Starmark - Warranty Question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
16Gamer

Starmark - Warranty Question

#1 Post by 16Gamer »

This is my first post on the site, but I have lurked here off and on since I purchased our windows. Let me say thanks to everyone who posts here and helped me make my decision.

That being said, we purchased several Starmark composite double hung windows and casements (for a bow window set) in August of 2012. The windows have performed well, but we are having a couple of issues. First off, every screen frame has faded to a yellow tint from the original bright white. The window frame, being composite, has not faded at all. Would the screens be covered under the warranty? If not, are there any other solutions?

Also, one of the hinged casement windows has begun leaking through the crank handle. Any idea what could cause that problem? Is it possible that the weep hole is clogged?

How has Starmark (Okna) handled these type of issues? Thanks in advance for your help.

Windows on Washington

Re: Starmark - Warranty Question

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Call your installer. There was a batch of screen frame material that has a questionable paint on it and I think they have replaced some of those under warranty.

Best to check with your primary first and see what they can do.

Can't imagine what would cause a leak through the handle, but opening it up and inspecting the weepers would be the first place to start. Might be another question for the installer and should be an easy fix.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Agree with all that. I remember some funky screen paint deal around that time as well. Your installer should be able to take care of your concerns. Okna has been excellent in my experience at taking care of these thing as far as providing parts.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

How have you felt about the performance of the windows?

theWindowNerd.

16Gamer

#5 Post by 16Gamer »

The double-hung windows have been great. Very smooth and seal nicely when closed. Easy to clean outside glass, although the bottom outside jamb is difficult to clean in the corners.

We are supposed to hear from an Okna Rep. to repair the crank-open casement, but not sure when that will be. Also, not sure about the yellowing of the screen frames, but hoping that will be addressed as well. I'll let everyone here know how it turns out. Thx.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

We had some yellowing screen frame issues back then too. The factory sent new screens per the warranty and the issue was solved.

16Gamer

#7 Post by 16Gamer »

How yellow were your screens? I sent some pics to my window guy and he said Okna would not cover the replacement. Any ideas?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

16Gamer,

Have you started with your installer yet? Most times, they will be the primary interface with the supplier/manufacturer and have the better communication pipelines.

Feel free to email me directly if you have any questions: enovotny@windowsonwashington.net

16Gamer

#9 Post by 16Gamer »

WoW, yeah, I have been working with him to repair one casement window that has a minor leak. He told me that he has the same Okna windows and his screens are yellowing in the same fashion, but Okna will not replace them. Seems to contradict what I have been reading on here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Either you or your installer email me directly and I will pass along your concerns.

16Gamer

#11 Post by 16Gamer »

WoW, I would like to send you an email directly. Can you please let me know your email address? Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Windows on Washington wrote:16Gamer,

Have you started with your installer yet? Most times, they will be the primary interface with the supplier/manufacturer and have the better communication pipelines.

Feel free to email me directly if you have any questions: enovotny@windowsonwashington.net
Just above you in my 2nd to last post.

See quoted text above.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Haven't seen an email from you, but let me know here if you have sent one.

16Gamer

#14 Post by 16Gamer »

Doh! Not sure how I missed your email, but I just sent you one. Thanks!