Need Professional Help!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
vrw4me2c

Need Professional Help!

#1 Post by vrw4me2c »

Glad to have found this Board, I feel like it has giving me some very valuable info and helped me with not making the mistake of picking a window based on price. Didn't know there is so much to take into account! Now I'm hoping for help with picking the right window.
I live in Nashville and recently moved here from California. My 20 yr old brick home has a number of north and south facing windows that have had some bad leaking during windy storm conditions. We are in the process of replacing and think we have narrowed it down to either the Sunrise or Soft lite brand. We have gotten quotes from two different companies and they are almost identical in price for the Restoration or Element. I got the quote for double pane, neither company made mention of triple pane - is it something I should consider in this area?
The windows came in at a price of about $882.00 per window (Just under $15,000 for the job)- Yikes. I'm wondering if I should consider the mid grade of these two brands with a savings of about $2000.00? Most of the windows are double hung and are about 3x6 with two of them installed next to each other. It seems like the Sunrise windows has a bigger glass area (smaller frame?), would it make that much of a noticeable difference on the amount of light between it and the Soft lite? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TheWindowNerd

Re: Need Professional Help!

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I can not comment on the Sunrise step down.
But on the SL I would only step down to the Imp LS.

theWindowNerd.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

Sunrise will indeed get you more glass, less frame. Soft-lite is the overall better built window (strength, durability, etc....). Both are top performers and will serve you well for the long term.

If you’re planning on staying in the home more than five years, stick with one of these two and avoid mid-grade vinyl windows. The money you spend now will be worth it in the years to come.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

I would consider getting more quotes from other dealers.
Although your price seems high , one would need more details on the window and install.
You're Windows are on the larger side with offsets visible glass space to most. I would take the Soft-Lite hands down over the Sunrise.
What models were they offering for the step down?

vrw4me2c

#5 Post by vrw4me2c »

Thank so much for all the replies! There aren't many dealers in this area, but there is a ZEN Windows Co. and on the Soft Lite website they are listed as a dealer. I will see about getting an additional quote. I think I read somewhere on this board that ZEN are made by soft-lite, so is anyone aware of which one would be comparable to the Elements.
The stepdown offered are SL "Classic" or Sunrise "Sunrise".or "Verde".
What are ya'lls feeling about the triple pane for this area.
Toddinmn - not sure what you were trying to say about window ratio, is it that my windows are large enough that having the strength of the SL outweighs the loss of light (glass) compared to the SunRise?
Again, appreciate all of you taking the time to help me make an informed choice! - B

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

Yes, that is what I was trying to convey.
Zen will offer The Pro as there too window , which is a step down from the Element and LS. The Classic is below the Pro. I would not go the Classic for 2k less.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would look for an SL Imp LS dealer.