Wanting OKNA Insul-tec 500 series windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Fun Times

Wanting OKNA Insul-tec 500 series windows

#1 Post by Fun Times »

I have a good window contractor that I want to use for the installation of vinyl replacement windows in my home but he is having a hard time of getting a price on the OKNA Insul-Tec 500 series Double Hung units. He quoted me a price of $3800 more for the OKNA'S vs the MI 1650 series brand. Theres a total of 16 Double hung units. He says dealer protected area makes it hard for him to even get them. The 2 local dealers I have had dealings with them before and I didn't like their work so, that is out of the question. Is there the possibly of me buying them from some other dealer and picking them up from them ? I live in Lancaster Cty, PA and I don't mine driving to the Philly or Baltimore area even .
Also, is that price of $3,800 more OKNA 500series windows within reason rather than MI 1650 series?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Wanting OKNA Insul-tec 500 series windows

#2 Post by masterext »

You are comparing apples and oranges here. Okna is a high end window whereas the MI 1650 is a builders grade product.
Most companies dont do cash and carry and if they do, your windows lose the warranty.
Contact an Okna dealer in your area. Try calling Okna and they will give you a dealer.

Fun Times

#3 Post by Fun Times »

masterext wrote:You are comparing apples and oranges here. Okna is a high end window whereas the MI 1650 is a builders grade product.
Most companies dont do cash and carry and if they do, your windows lose the warranty.
Contact an Okna dealer in your area. Try calling Okna and they will give you a dealer.
The problem is I want to keep my contractor; not some contractor I don't know anything about. The two dealers by me, I had dealings with them on other projects and the out come wasn't worth dealing with them again. I know the MI 1650 is builders grade windows and that is why I'm looking at OKNA's. If I can not get OKNA 500 series then is there other windows around the same quality just as good without becoming a one brand dealer for my contractor.
Thanks for the help.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Is there the possibly of me buying them from some other dealer and picking them up from them ? I live in Lancaster Cty, PA and I don't mine driving to the Philly or Baltimore area even .
Yes

theWindowNerd.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Fun Times, sounds like perhaps you have a nerdly solution to your dilemma. I'd contact him and see what you guys can work out.

Fun Times

#6 Post by Fun Times »

I stop at one of the dealers (which I don't like ) to look at the Okna 500 series again and the dealer offer me the Okna 600 for the same price as the Okna 500 which he would come out and measure and "sit down" and give me a price. I still want to used my installer and is the 600 that different inside the vinyl for a price change. First he was saying $100 per window more for the 600 then the bait was offer a even swap for the 500. The only thing he mention about the 600 was a bar being added to it.
I told him I don't need a used car sales approach and I would think about dealing with them. I was just wondering if the 600 is that much better than the 500. Is it?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

The 600 series will have a few extra engineering features; composite reinforcement in the sash and an interlock in the sill, the 500 won't have those features. Both the 600 and 800 series utilize the same exact sash while the 500 is a little different. The performace numbers will be very similar but as i said, you get a few extra features with the 600 series. I highly doubt he is pulling a bait and switch, its a very good window. The 600 series is one of Okna’s best windows and is a step above the 500 series.
Last edited by masterext on Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

I would go with the Nerd.
The other dealer is not giving you anything free.
There is no reason that the Okna Windows would not have a warranty regardless of who installed. You would have the manufactures warranty through Okna and an installation warranty would be up to the installation company.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

600 is slightly upgraded from the 500 and does cost more. If he is legitimately giving you a 600 at a 500 price, that would indeed be a "freebie", at least on the surface. That said, none of us know any details about this guy's pricing structure, business model, etc, so who knows.

I will say this, anytime you can source the windows and installation from one party you are better off. You want to reduce the number of parties involved to improve accountability and lessen the chances of finger pointing when something goes wrong. If the Okna dealer that you speak of has some history, a great reputation and reviews, etc, I'd at least consider them if the price is fair. Some sales reps can be a little more aggressive (or flaky) than others, so I'd be somewhat careful about passing judgement about an entire company based on one brief experience unless he was a total jerk or a liar. If either of those were the case, I'd pass that along to management of that company and see what they say about it.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Numbers for the 500 DX and other options have been sent to you.

theWindowNerd.

Fun Times

#11 Post by Fun Times »

Thanks for everyone's help; specially "The Window Nerd" for getting pricing and for future business. I sent the info to my contractor and now its in his corner.
I wish everyone who is looking to replace their windows would come here before they make the mistake of hooking up with a bad salesman or wrong brand of windows. You don't have to be an expert to buy windows, but it doesn't hurt to post on this board and let someone guide you on making the right purchase or getting a good contractor.

Again, Thanks