Need advice on windows estimate.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
smd

Need advice on windows estimate.

#1 Post by smd »

I would like some opinions on a window quote I got to see if it seems fair.

I recently discovered that the window in the spare bedroom (seldom used) is rotting out in the window pane as well as the (sill?) under the window. In order to keep the upstair windows a consistent look,I am getting estimates to replace:
1- 3 panel casement (87x60) in the master BR.
2- 2 panel casement (59x60) in the two other bedrooms.
1- 2 panel casement (51x60) in the bath.

The estimate I got was for Simonton 6500 series. The estimate is for a full frame replacement on the windows. They will need scaffolding to do two of the windows since they are on the second floor, which I would assume adds some to the coast.

The quote is $7200 for the job. Does this seem reasonable? Or is this way off?
(Side note. I have another window company which I wasn't impressed with at all bid $7900 for the job). I am located in Minnesota if that helps.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Windows on Washington

Re: Need advice on windows estimate.

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You really need to think of it as 9 units in this case. When you look through the numbers and access through that lens, the numbers are actually on the low end of the project scale.

Now, I am not a huge fan of that window, but the pricing is certainly reasonable.

smd

#3 Post by smd »

Thank you for the response. I have a few other companies lined up for next week. Not looking forward to the 'if you buy today I can sell it to you for this ' pitch, as I want to get a few quotes before making a decision.

Thinking of it in terms of window panes instead of openings is helpful.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

As full frame replacements i would think of it as opening not actual lites.
For example for a three wide unit my install package is IP x 2, not IP x 3.
Under normal circumstances we would not use scaffolding for any window on an upper level, except for a foyer window, half round with extended legs, I like to use scaffolding on the inside, outside we use ladders, ladder jacks and planks.

theWindowNerd.

smd

#5 Post by smd »

I am continuing to line up a few more estimates for the said job above.
There is one installer that people are reviewing positively on Angies list.
Among the windows they work with are Andersen,Marvin, and Sunrise.

When I inquired about Andersen windows about the job at the top of the thread, his quote was somewhere around $9500.

I suspect Marvin will be priced closer to the Anderson quote than my Simonton quote.

There is a lot of favorable talk here about Sunrise. Should I expect quotes at or near a Andersen window on this type of window? I have no idea on where it falls on the price scale.

Thank you for any help.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Impossible to say where the quotes will shake out but you are doing your research so you are on the right path.

Keep us posted how the decision making process comes along and turns out.

smd

#7 Post by smd »

I have a couple more window installers appointments (i.e. salesman).

I have a general question about this. I have met with two so far, and in both cases, I got the story- Here is our quote for $X, but I can offer it to you for(15-25)% less if you sign today. In both cases I told them I need to get a few estimates before deciding

It feels like a sales tactic and since I'm 2 for 2 with this method, I am thinking I'm going to get the same thing every time. My plan is to complete my appointments. If I end up liking one of the earlier guy's product, my intent is to call them and and offer to buy it at their 'one day' price.

Will a plan like that work? If not, how does someone successfully get multiple bids without signing with the last guy you see?

Thank you.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Depends on who you are dealing with smd. This can be a little tricky, because many companies that use that tactic can be a little shady. That said, there are legitimate savings to be had when a company does not have to do all of the tracking, follow-up, etc. Many man-hours can go into that... I'll say this, 25% on a "today-only" deal does seem excessive unless its a manufacturer sponsored special or something like that, but those would generally have a logical conclusion date, like the end of a month.
As far as whether or not you can get that same deal days or weeks later, it doesn't hurt to ask. Decent chance that you may get close even if they can't do the exact price...

Last piece of advice: Keep doing what you are doing. Research on the front end on forums and websites like this. That way, if a deal presents itself that checks all of your boxes including product, budget, etc., you can pull the trigger whenever you feel ready and with confidence.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am a hater of the arm twisting and price drops.
A more reasonable offer is a fair first price with a 5% discount for first meet signing.

Do not allow yourself to be abused by sales tactics. There are excellent window contractors out there.

theWindowNerd.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

I agree with the Nerd.
There sign now prices will be available at any time. These are sales tactics and unfortunately they use them because they still work. There margins are typically still large at there drop price. As Homesealed said, take your time and wait until your confident in your choice.

smd

#11 Post by smd »

My window estimate journey continues. I thought I would share and would welcome any comments.

This estimate was for Sunrise Restorations. The salesperson was helpful and answered my questions. A couple of things are different about this estimate from the estimates I received earlier. The estimate is for inserts, not full replace. I showed him the window damage to the one window that started this whole process. He pointed out how the parts that were rotted out were all in the window itself, and not the sill area (or whatever you call the part that stays when inserts are put in). I guess that was a bad assumption on my part. Also, the quote didn't include the bathroom like estimates above, so included
1- 3 panel casement (87x60) in the master BR.
2- 2 panel casement (59x60) in the two other bedrooms.

He quoted both the woodgrain (more expensive), and white.

Still got the 'sign' today price, which included what they called a 'social media savings', as well as a final 'call by boss price'. So the prices quoted started at $9700wg/8200white, and with a final price of 7350wg/6200white.
Which works out to $1050 per window for woodgrain, $885 window for white.

The prices don't seem outrageous, but at the same time, from reading on this site what others got Sunrise bids for, it seems a little on the high end. Not sure how everyone else is getting all the good deals. Any thoughts and comments on this will be appreciated.

I will continue to share my results as they happen. I have an installer that does Andersen and Marvin coming on thursday. I may try to line up a Soft-Lite dealer to complete my search as I see good reviews for this window.

Guy

#12 Post by Guy »

Just have to love MN! The standards we use to install windows here in Minnesota are much more extensive than the other climates. That's why I try and stay neutral on other installers application methods used in warmer climates. There are still some good installers here in MN. The most important thing you need to do is find a good reputable installer. A good installer can put in any manufacturers window across the board. Make sure you get a Licensed Contractor to do the work. If they do a bad job there's a recovery fund the state has to fix the job correctly. You can go to MN Department of Labor and Industry (doli) to access information about any contractor you're looking at.
Stay away from the two big box stores here. They both have issues! Anderson is overkill with sketchy installers, with the Pella stores close behind. Sounds like you're finding your way around. I'm biased because I believe any window can be a good window if installed to the best of its ability. The only difference in most cases is how long the last and stay working. The cheaper windows breakdown and start falling apart before the more well built products would. Better built just out lasts the cost cutters.
Here in MN you can't cheat or cut many corners. Our weather here will show it immediately. Good Luck!!!