what would you do?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bigguyshopping

what would you do?

#1 Post by bigguyshopping »

while they were measuring windows when getting an estimate, they told me that the inside dimension of my current windows are smaller than the outside and wanted to know

-do I want the new window to be the size of the actual opening and if so would need to replace the interior window trim (as the inside of the window would be larger)
OR
-have the new window to be smaller than the current window (they would add a piece of wood to the bottom frame)

At the time it seemed like I would not want to redo all of the window trim inside the house but looking back and measuring the actual inside difference (1 1/2" from bottom of window to top of bottom frame) maybe it would be better to get the larger window? Are there any structural considerations I should take into account?

In addition, all prices quoted were for custom sizes. As our house is 22 years old, I was thinking they would all be standard size windows. Wouldn't stock size windows cosst less which would offset the cost of new trim?

Also are my current windows (larger outside opening) considered a Pocket Sill?

Not sure how to insert a picture but I do have one.

TheWindowNerd

Re: what would you do?

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

what are the existing windows made of?
Yep need picture of interior and exterior.
Most replacement windows are made to order special sizes, only new construction windows have standard/what used to be stock sizes, though everyones "stock size is different.
A rule of thumb that I used was that a special size smaller than it closest large stock size was $100 more.
Is this diferrencial in size only in the height?