Requesting Window brands for 38 windows in DC area

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
BaldGuy123

Requesting Window brands for 38 windows in DC area

#1 Post by BaldGuy123 »

Thank you to everyone on this board for the high quality information.

I'm looking for someone to sell me and install 38 windows on a new construction home in Northern Virginia.

I would like to go with a high performance window (low U rating, low SHGC rating, and high VT).

What kind of window brands would you recommend?

Also, does anyone know of a Okna dealer in Northern Virginia?

Thank you!

BaldGuy123

Re: Requesting Window brands for 38 windows in DC area

#2 Post by BaldGuy123 »

Windows on Washington, if you see this, I just sent you a quote request. Please call or email me when you can.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am sure that Eric at Windows on Washington will get in touch soon.
He is the right person to help you.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. You happen to have found one of the best in the country in your backyard. Windows on Washington is an excellent company.

BaldGuy123

#5 Post by BaldGuy123 »

I requested a quote from a lady at Eric's company and after speaking with her yesterday, I thought I was in good shape but she has gone dark on me. I have emailed her multiple times and no response. Big disappointment since I'm in a time crunch, which I conveyed to her.

I need to move forward with a window purchase and was wondering if you would recommend moving forward with Simonton 5500's?

I would still very much like a quote on Okna windows and was wondering if anyone could suggest another Okna distributor in the DC area. Or can anyone recommend a window vendor / distributor that sells a high quality window (low U factor, low SHGC rating, and high VT ) in DC?

I need to have the windows delivered by July 26 or 27.

Thank you!

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

BG,

Thanks for the inquiry. We have a couple of folks out on summer vacations. I think John is set to talk with you and get some project details and numbers put together for you.

Feel free to email me directly and I will be happy to review your project with you.

That said, we are going to be hard pressed to get you your product on the timetable that you have set forth.

The 13th (the day of your original inquiry) is already after our order cut off date for this week and product orders wouldn't go in (assuming confirmed, signed off, priced, and with a deposit) to production until the July 20th date at this point.

That being said, there is 0.0% chance of you getting product on the 26th.

The only options that I think you have right now would be something like a Simonton window which can sometimes (operative word is sometimes) to be had on a 1 week turn around.

If there is anything complex about your order (i.e. tempered glass, shapes, jamb extensions, etc.), you are introducing a complexity that will undermine that 1-week turn around.

Keep in mind that we are also dealing with production delays almost universally right now when it comes to construction materials so I am not sure what options are you going to have right now.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You have maybe pushed your self into a corner with the lead time.
5 to 6 weeks is a good time frame for a rush order.
Any tempered glass?
You mention wanting high quality but leave, IMO, a most important indicator of product performance. The structural test for air leakage/air infiltration.
Your new window should .05 or less in air infiltration.

BaldGuy123

#8 Post by BaldGuy123 »

You guys are right, this is on me. I wish I had researched this earlier. I only started my research when I got a few quotes from my builder and he asked me to choose which window provider to go with. I had no idea that windows had so many options.

WoW, one of your guys (Dave) reached out last night and conveyed the same message.

I need to talk with my builder on Monday and see what the impact of a delay would be on the overall finish date on the house.

But still very thankful to find this board as I want to make sure that I have high quality windows seeing as I will be living in this house for the next 20 years or so. WindowNerd, thank you for pointing out the air leakage indicator. I will keep that in mind.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ah ha. This is the text that we were discussing.

I will check with my supplier on Monday AM about this.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to the comments above. That lead time will be near impossible for most manufacturers to turn around. You are on the right track though in acknowledging that this purchase is going to be something that you will live with for 20+ years. Settling for "builder grade" will literally cut that timeline in half, as it is very common to replace failing builder windows around 10 years. It would stink to postpone the project at all, but I would do that if necessary to ensure that it gets done right the first time.

randy

#11 Post by randy »

In my experience, using a manufacturer that can turn window orders around quickly rarely leads to successfully completing the job earlier than it would have been with another manufacturer. The reason is that the products which are quickly turned are often knowingly shipped with issues that require repair or reorder altogether. By the time the issues are resolved, you could have used a better quality product.