Gentek SE vs Slocomb IS500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
WindowCzar

Gentek SE vs Slocomb IS500

#1 Post by WindowCzar »

Good Morning Pros,
I’m torn between (2) Companies, (A & B) that have a $2,600 difference and provide different companies windows. I’m getting 11x replacement windows, and 2x sliding glass doors. I’ll put the specs below. Please give any advice on the window manufacturers, the specs, and whether I would feel a big difference/ should or shouldn’t be worried about something I’m missing.
Company A- $2,600 LESS expensive than Company B.
Slocomb (Protech?) iS500 Series Windows (This window is apparently a specific window made for this company)
Financing- 120mos 9.99% APR
(Double-Pane; Double Hung; Double-Strength Cardinal Glass; 2x Low-E and Argon from Ultraflect tech; Duralite Spacers)
Installed by Company A Install team- 20+ years install experience, worked in commercial industry, only 4 years in residential industry.)
U-Factor- .22
SHGC- .18
Visible Transmittence- .41
Air Leakage- <0.3
R-Value- 5
Composite T-reinforcement in insulated frame. Fusion Welded Corners, Stainless Steel Constant Force Balance, Sloped sill, MagTight Seal Triple weather stripping.
Warranty- 50-years Labor, Install, Parts, Windows through Manufacturer, and Company A.
BBB- A+ Rated
Google Reviews- 5.0 Stars (50+ Reviews)
Have worked directly with owner of Company, excellent customer service. Small local company.
Pros- Much better Performance in the window, Small local company so I’m very confident in a high-quality install and experience since even 1 bad review would affect his business, worked directly with the owner, same install team for decades, all salaried, not sub-contracted, licensed, bonded insured.
Cons- Only been around for 4 years, I know this is a competitive industry and I worry about him going out of business and me being on the hook for labor/ fighting with the manufacturer if something goes wrong down the line. Financing doesn’t offer a 12mo no interest no payment options, goes straight into 10% APR. Window Manufacturer I’ve never heard of, nor do I know who they are backed by. Haven’t seen the window in person, have only seen via brochure.

Company B- $2,600 MORE expensive than Company A.
Gentek Signature Elite Series Window (Offered by numerous companies, less likely to go out of business, backed by $1 Billion company, Associated Materials.)
Financing- 12 Months 0% Interest, Rolls Into 120 months 9.99% interest.
Double-Pane, Double Hung, Double Strength Cardinal Glass, BarrierXP Glass Package, 1 Low-E coat & Argon and standard intercept spacer)
Installed by Gentek (Manufacturer)
U-Factor- .28
SHGC- .30
Visible Transmittence- .55
Air Leakage- .04
R-Value- Unsure
Composite Frame Reinforcement, Frame NOT Insulated, Fusion Welded Mainframe and sash corners; multilayered weather stripping, Block and Tackle Balance.
Warranty- 50-years Parts/Labor/Install through Manufacturer only (Gentek)
BBB- A+ Rated
Google Reviews- 4.5 Stars (500+ Reviews)
Have worked with an incredibly transparent saleswoman, no slimy sales pitch, came in, gave us a legitimate quote, worked with us once she saw I had 9 other quotes and immediately called the COO of her company to see the absolute best price she could give, and if she could upgrade any windows, she did, and gave the best price of any large company by $1,000s.
Pros- Bigger, more well established but still regional company. Initially started out of a local city, still excellent reviews, and both the install company and manufacturer of the windows are established and backed by a billion dollar company. Very low chance of going out of business. Been in the business for over 70 years. Financing is awesome. Have seen it in-person and it seems like a decent window, we like the bevel the window comes with which gives it a nicer look.
Cons- More expensive, worse performing windows.

Am I too worried about the small business longevity? I love supporting small local businesses but sometimes the peace and security of a larger business is worth the extra money. Overall these are both EXCELLENT companies and people and my story just proves when you search you can find great window companies willing to work with you on price and product to make you happy! Who would you go with and why?

Windows on Washington

Re: Gentek SE vs Slocomb IS500

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Is there a Company C, D, or E?

I don't like A or B.

WindowCzar

#3 Post by WindowCzar »

Ok, why?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with WoW.

If you can find a company with a profile closer to choice "B", but with a better product, that would be ideal.

There are a handful of window products that are pretty widely recommended by pros on this and other forums, I'd try to see what you can find as far as a dealer of those products in your area...

The concern about longevity is very, very real. The statistics regarding the number of companies in this industry that go under after 5 and then 10 years are staggering.
When that happens, the best case scenario is that they did a decent job on the install but you have to jump through hoops to get warranty parts where needed, hire someone to install them, deal with the manufacturer blaming the installation and not the product, etc.
The less desirable scenario is that the installs were botched so you are back to square one, paying for this project in its entirety a second time. That happens far more often than you might think.

WindowCzar

#5 Post by WindowCzar »

They quoted me $13,900 (Slocomb) and $16,500 (Gentek).
This is my price range. What window should I be going for instead? I’ve not heard excellent things about ProVia, and the one company that quoted Sunrise gave me a $20k quote.
Additionally, can you please advise on the quality of these windows? Are they at least good windows?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

They would not be anywhere near the top of my list, no. As I mentioned, there are several manufacturers that are fairly universally respected for their quality and product performance. Softlite, Okna, Sunrise (now MI V series), Polaris, Vytex, etc... Some of those are more regionally available than others.

As far as budget, hard to say without knowing more details but the Gentek option sounds accurately priced from a reputable company. I wouldn't expect to find a better window from a good company for much less, nor would I use a marginal window from what sounds like a solid (not excellent) company as the high end of my budget parameter.
Sunrise at $20k doesn't sound out of line at all.

WindowCzar

#7 Post by WindowCzar »

Windows on Washington wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:21 am Is there a Company C, D, or E?

I don't like A or B.
There is, Company C,
Sunrise Vanguard Windows and doors
$21,000.

It’s just a high price (for me) ($4,500-$7,000 more) and their financing would put me in a bunch. Max 60mos at 8%. I’m asking for their best quote though but he said it already might be lowest possible. Is it worth the price jump?

They also offered an all ProVia Aspect for $19k. But I’ve been told to stay away from their windows…

WindowCzar

#8 Post by WindowCzar »

HomeSealed wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:16 pm They would not be anywhere near the top of my list, no. As I mentioned, there are several manufacturers that are fairly universally respected for their quality and product performance. Softlite, Okna, Sunrise (now MI V series), Polaris, Vytex, etc... Some of those are more regionally available than others.

As far as budget, hard to say without knowing more details but the Gentek option sounds accurately priced from a reputable company. I wouldn't expect to find a better window from a good company for much less, nor would I use a marginal window from what sounds like a solid (not excellent) company as the high end of my budget parameter.
Sunrise at $20k doesn't sound out of line at all.
I think the quote may have been higher as they quoted me 19k for Provia Aspect.

Thank you for your advice though, I’ve changed companies and will be working with the more established company to up my glass package on the Gentek.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

WindowCzar wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:47 pm
Thank you for your advice though, I’ve changed companies and will be working with the more established company to up my glass package on the Gentek.
Changed companies?

Just to be clear, I am not recommending the Gentek window. In fact, I'd recommend staying away from it. The company itself sounds like it has a solid profile, although their window of choice does cast some doubt there as well.

WindowCzar

#10 Post by WindowCzar »

Yeah, I guess I’d ask why though? Does this mean I just can’t get good windows for $17k? Seems pretty insane to me. The next best quote was through Window Nation at $18k Vytex Georgetown windows…

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

The fit and finish on the lower to mid grade Slocumb products can be very rough. Mainly the welds. Most vinyl window manufacturers utilze about the same process to shave off the overspill welds fromt the face of the welds. Slocomb must have a drunk lumberjack swinging a chainsaw to perform this task. I'd like to see you get into a little better product myself if possible for the money.

WindowCzar

#12 Post by WindowCzar »

Delaware Mike wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:05 pm The fit and finish on the lower to mid grade Slocumb products can be very rough. Mainly the welds. Most vinyl window manufacturers utilze about the same process to shave off the overspill welds fromt the face of the welds. Slocomb must have a drunk lumberjack swinging a chainsaw to perform this task. I'd like to see you get into a little better product myself if possible for the money.
😂 that’s pretty good! Thanks for the help, I’m speaking with them about the Vytex Potomac HP, they said they could keep the price the same, but assured me the performance increase would be minimal. I saw a YouTube video on them though and they look really nice.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Potomac is a nice unit. Where is the home located?

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

WindowCzar wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:08 pm Yeah, I guess I’d ask why though?
Because it's widely regarded as one of the least reliable, most service prone window lines in existence.
WindowCzar wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:08 pm Does this mean I just can’t get good windows for $17k? Seems pretty insane to me.
Nope. Just means that in most cases, the lower the price goes the higher the probability that you regret your decision for a whole variety of reasons. Certainly that can happen at any price, but $20k give or take on this type of project is sustainable for a legitimate business.

The Vytex is nice, I'd explore that option further.