Polaris Unishield vs Simonton Vantage Point 6500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
DaraZ87

Polaris Unishield vs Simonton Vantage Point 6500

#1 Post by DaraZ87 »

I live in NJ and am trying to figure out a reasonable and reliable double hung replacement window for several of our windows (most of the windows in the house are relatively new and still functional, but some are original to our 1960 house).

What do you think about Vantage Point 6500 series by Simonton installed by Home Depot (lifetime warranty) vs. Polaris Unishield Plus installed by Universal Windows Direct (30 year warranty). They are similar in price.

Anyone else I should consider for upper mid-range windows?

Thanks!!

randy

Re: Polaris Unishield vs Simonton Vantage Point 6500

#2 Post by randy »

In terms of window quality, Polaris is superior to Simonton in most every way. If the pricing is similar, Simonton is priced too high.

Ricknez

#3 Post by Ricknez »

Polaris is a decent window in the mid range category and better than simonton.
for the price you are probably paying for polaris, you can get a better brand such as Okna windows at the same price point. I would at least get a quote on a higher end window.
I would look for an Okna dealer in your state. You could also look at soft lite or sunrise.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

There are three of us who post regularly on this site who service NJ.
So depending on where you are , your job type, and who best fits with you. One of us could help you with OKna or other high performance windows.

theWindowNerd.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

Agree. I would look at some of the higher end vinyl offrings. Many times the price for the higher end brands are very close to the average quality brands such as polaris which i used to offer.
Okna is a great window and they have various lines. Soft lite make a good window as well with their elements or imperial line.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Polaris makes a nice window in the Ultraweld. Near the top tier as a performer, most pros put it a step down from the Softlite Elements and Okna products due to the fact that its a bit bulky and slightly lower performance. The Simonton is not terrible, but the performance ratings are pretty mediocre comparatively. All that said, my more important observation here would be regarding the installation quality, and the company providing that. I'd stay away from Big box stores like the plague, as they have a revolving door of installers at cut rate pay last time I checked. On the other company, I'd do some research. My local branch shut down recently due to some issues, however it's probably not fair to paint all locations with the dame brush. What I can say though is that if one of the NJ pros that contribute here serve your area you would be in excellent hands. Between the window nerd, master ext, and Delaware Mike, I'd trust anyone of those guys on my own home.