snap in flanges, extruded flanges

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jheissjr

snap in flanges, extruded flanges

#1 Post by jheissjr »

Okna new constructions have a nailing flange that is part of the frame. The flange is extruded with the frame at the time of manufacture making the frame and flange one. A true new construction window.

Softlite does not make new construction windows. To compensate, they offer a nailing flange attachment for their replacements that snap into the frame. Since the flange just snaps into the frame relying on a tight friction fit I am unaware of the waterproofness. What are thoughts on snap in flanges compared to true flanges? Are they reliable?
Attachments
okna flange.jpg
okna flange
(238.4 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

TheWindowNerd

Re: snap in flanges, extruded flanges

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If applied correctly, applied flanges work great.

Like most things in life, if done right all is well.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to the previous comment.

Installed properly, both are fine. The integral are certainly easier and the installers prefer them, but both are fine.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

There are several variations of field applied flanges some of the more popular vinyl offerings out there. The upper end SL lines optioned with factory applied nailing flanges are very sturdy and have the corners welded, plus it's a thick flange that snaps around the face and backside of the factory accessory/utility groove. When these flanged new construction units leave the plant there is no "slop" in the flange and it becomes an integral part of the window. We clean off some of that extra weld flash with chisels or Fein type cordless Multimaster tools so our flashing tape, drip caps, and j-channel if can lay nicer on the flanges.

OKNA's only line of double-hung units that I know of with a true extruded nailing flange would be the Insultech 550 and 600 series. I'm not sure about the 900 Starmark? We do quite a bit of 800 series units that get the field applied flanges that we miter and wet-bed with premium glazing quality sealants onto the 800 frames. This flange appears to be virtually the same flange that SL utilizes. When I put these on they will never leak.

jheissjr

#5 Post by jheissjr »

The upper end SL lines optioned with factory applied nailing flanges are very sturdy and have the corners welded, plus it's a thick flange that snaps around the face and backside of the factory accessory/utility groove. When these flanged new construction units leave the plant there is no "slop" in the flange and it becomes an integral part of the window.
Does this apply to the Elements, LS, Pro, and Classic? Do you happen to have any pictures of a Softlite fin?

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

I just went down in the basement and found an old Imperial LS DH sample from 2006 that my longtime rep dropped off many years ago that was optioned with the factory applied nailing flange with a built in j-channel receiver for some common siding panels. I've never had much success uploading links or photos to the boards.

It snaps around the face of the exterior accessory groove covering that which gives it a real clean look and then fits in the recess/offset of the frame very tightly with welded corners. Not much to go wrong. If it wasn't so late in the day I'd snap some iPhone pics, caffeine myself up and dig out some old log in information for a never hardly used photobucket account and try to get the pics up. If you really need to see them I can try tomorrow.

DM

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Sorry, I forgot to fully answer your question. I've never ordered the older platforms as new construction in regard to anything but the LS or Elements, thus I'm not sure how different the flanges might be. One of the older series which might be the Bainbridge is a new construction DH extrusion by design I think and SL zips off the flange from what I remember?

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd just confirm what the others have said, an applied flange should not be a deal breaker. Extruded is nice, but I'd take a superior window with an applied flange over an inferior unit with extruded. The flange, while offering some benefit in the realm of rigidity is primarily for better integration into the water management system as opposed to securing the window anyway IMO. Shims, jamb fasteners, etc are more important in that regard, and certainly even more so when it comes to an applied flange