Installer recommendations in Charlotte, NC area

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Gcam4

Re: Installer recommendations in Charlotte, NC area

#16 Post by Gcam4 »

So here are the quotes that I have gotten so far:

Windows:
four 30.5" x 72.5" DH
One 47" x 10" picture
One 42.5" x 47" picture that is tempered, obscure glass, without grids

Installer 1) Inserts. Softlite Pro, double pane, double-strength, solar lowE, argon. Said they would pull some vinyl siding back and tape up existing nailing flanges as best they could. Replace exterior trim. They deal with windows only and will not do anything major regarding the siding and underlying material of the siding.

$629 for each DH
$395 for small picture
$995 for large picture
$3906 total

Installer 2) Full replacements. OKNA 500 series deluxe with sun seal glass package. Said they will take down the siding and remove the entire window. Inspect for damage and replace accordingly per my request. Insulate the perimeter of each window with foam and properly flash the windows for a waterproof install. Replace exterior trim.

$2900 for 3 DH and picture windows
$520 for additional DH that was forgotten.
$3420 total

Installer 3) Inserts. Softlite Pro, double pane, double-strength, solar lowE, argon. They will pull back siding on the 3 problem windows and look for any issues and communicate if any found. Replace exterior trim and caulk windows with Siroflex Duo-Sil to complete a waterproof job inside and out.

$210 for site prep
$2500 for 4 DH windows
$535 for small picture
$696 for large picture
$330 for aluminium coil on brick moulding and window sill
$60 for caulking
$4331 total.

I called and got quotes on OKNA 600 new construction today. ~$480 for double pane and ~$520 for triple pane. Both being energy star rated for our area. The contractor we really like got back with us and said his dad passed away so it will be a little while before he gets us a quote, which is completely understandable. Thoughts on the numbers above?

Windows on Washington

#17 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Okna 600 numbers are the most impressive in that listing you have put together.

Gcam4

#18 Post by Gcam4 »

Windows on Washington wrote:The Okna 600 numbers are the most impressive in that listing you have put together.
WOW, the 600's were just the window itself and no install. I didn't say that in the post.

HomeSealed

#19 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with WoW, price sounds about right for product only. A reputable company wouldn't be around long if that price included installation

toddinmn

#20 Post by toddinmn »

Installer # 2 is the clear winner on paper depending on the 600 install pricing.

TheWindowNerd

#21 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree that installer #2 is the winner.

Gcam4

#22 Post by Gcam4 »

Cohple of things. 1. We found out we need to go with the bottom sash being tempered because the height of the stool which adds cost and 2. Got some more pricing on Provia's endure line, which look like a great window, but is kinda expensive, around $500 a piece. They also offer a very bland exterior which my wife isn't exactly excited about. If anyone can say otherwise, I'm all ears. So far we cannot find any good outside pictures of their windows.

So, we have basically all but decided on Okna 600dx's. My question comes to which glass pkg to go with. Is the sun seal energy saving pkg worth it? U is 0.26, shgc is 0.21, and VT is 0.41. Just don't know how dark of a window this will be?

Windows on Washington

#23 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not sure the extra solar control glass is really needed in your climate to be honest.

Is that based on your inquiry or what the vendor was recommending?

Gcam4

#24 Post by Gcam4 »

It's what they recommended to us. But, I also was thinking of that pkg before they mentioned it. They actually recommend sunrise, but to get to a window that is strong they recommend the verde which are $687 each. Just doesn't seem justified, although my wife likes the idea of the solarclean glass so she doesn't have to clean them! I'm more worried about the glass package being dark on the okna.

The sunrise do have a lower structural rating don't they?

Windows on Washington

#25 Post by Windows on Washington »

The number on the Okna (Structure, Air Infiltration, and Thermals) are better in the head to head comparisons.

The SunClean glass is a nice option, but it takes about 15 minutes to clean a house of windows with tilt in double hungs.