Replacement windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ultrarunner

Replacement windows

#1 Post by ultrarunner »

Hey folks, new to the forum....

So, here is the deal. Just relo'd to CT. Have this big old 60's colonial with some late-70's/early-80's Kasco DH, TS replacements, that also have storms on the outside. 23 units that are 32 x 48 and 8 units that are 32 x 36. All pretty much fogged, so I'm sure insulating value is zilch, etc...

I have never used replacements. I do have experience in a major remodel where I installed Andersen 400 series new-construction units, and I GC'd a new build, for myself, where I spec'd Marvin Ultimate DH/TS units.

These are the only two manufactures I have dealt with. Both the above applications were in the Great Lakes region.

With that said, I am really searching for a good price/performance replacement unit, in order to keep the cost down on the units, and minimize my labor. The Andersen replacements are essentially the same price point as a new construction unit, according to the quote I received today. I have yet to talk to Marvin, but would expect the same.

I don't have any experience with Jeld-Wen, however I am installing 3 4500 series slider units later this month.

I am also thinking I can keep the cost down by potentially going with a fixed casement middle unit in place of the tilt sash units in all of the triple-mulled units I have. As well as using some single hung units on first floor where cleaning would could be done from the outside....

I just thinking out loud here, so any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ultra...

toddinmn

Re: Replacement windows

#2 Post by toddinmn »

The cost difference between a full frame and insert isn't going to be a lot for material only regardless of brand typically. The cost difference will be on the labor and additional materials needed. Save money by going with a good quality vinyl, Andersen 100 series or Marvin Integriyt line. Do you need a wood window ?

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

The largest contributing factor is going to the additional labor to complete that type of installation.

ultrarunner

#4 Post by ultrarunner »

No I don't need a wood window. I will do some research on vinyl options and educate myself, having never used them before.

And yes, I agree, in my previous quote for an Andersen replacement, the pricing was essentially the same as a new construction unit....

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you don't need a wood window and you are doing an insert application, Soft-Lite (Elements), Sunrise (Restorations), and Okna (EnviroStar) are all solid window units.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would suggest that you start by looking at the Okna 800 DX,
It is a vinyl replacement window: great look, exceptional performance.

theWindowNerd.