Understanding Energy Star regions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kenNC

Understanding Energy Star regions

#1 Post by kenNC »

I am shopping for DH vinyl replacements. I have narrowed my choices to Okna, Sunrise and Vytex products. I live in the Raleigh NC area, and noticed that the energy star NC and SC region falls on Raleigh. So I guess I have the option to choose either region? My question is what are the differences for windows that are support NC region (Okna Insultec) and others support NC and SC region (Sunrise and Vytex)? Will there be a performance delta? All the windows are rated very well.

Thanks in advance for any guidance provided.

HomeSealed

Re: Understanding Energy Star regions

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Didn't have a chance to look at the Energy Star map yet nor your local climate data, however I can say with some certainty that all 3 of those windows will have glass packages to meet either region's requirement. Sunrise struggles with their double pane for the north, but for NC and SC they all have options. Factors such as the design and orientation of your home, heating degree days for your locality, and how you will use your windows/treatments can all factor into which will ultimately be the best choice for you. Ultimately the differences are falling on the amount of solar heat gain you want to optimize efficiency.