New Construction?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
windownewbie

New Construction?

#1 Post by windownewbie »

This site seem to be mostly about replacement windows, but I have a question I'm hoping to get an answer to for new construction.

I want to avoid the cheap builder grade windows and get a more premium product (looks like theres plenty of them out there). But rather then talk about what brand, my question is this:
Given that I'm looking for windows to use in new construction - should I just order windows from a local dealer of higher end windows and then use the crew my contractor wants to use to install them, or should I really think about having the dealer that I buy them from install them?

In other words, for new construction, do they require a higher level of skill to install, or is that mainly only when replacing windows?

Thanks for the help and advice!!

TheWindowNerd

Re: New Construction?

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am not a builder but I will share what they and supplier have told me.
It is better to use a window installer to install the windows, less problems from the installs.
This will typically cost a little more than having the framers set them.
One builder told me he had a developement he did, half the homes he had the framers set the windows half the homes he had window installers set the windows. He had call backs on every framer set house, This same builder had us set the windows and doors in his own new house.
Mfg reps have told me the same thing.

theWindowNerd.

windownewbie

#3 Post by windownewbie »

Thats kinda the answer I was expecting to get. I've been researching windows brands and have it narrowed down to a few to look into. I see everywhere that people are saying stuff like "these few are great brands and either choice is great, but narrow it down to the best installer since that is going to matter more". I am a newbie when it comes to windows, as you can tell by my name. :D What types of questions should I ask in order to determine who I think would give me the best install? There are the obvious things I could check like Angies list and other reviews, but are there certain key things I need to look for in an installer or specific questions I should ask them, and answers I should be looking for? As it is, other than Angies List and a reference list that I could ask the installer for, I wouldnt know what else to base my selection on.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

Framers can be hit and miss, I have worked with more good than bad, I actually had my framer help me in my house. Like that he tilted my sills without asking for water drainage. Framers typically are about speed and can miss finer details that result in call backs.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Ask the mfg for installers, particularly some that have new construction experience.
Look for someone who is Installation Masters certified. Also if they are certified by Marvin, Pella, and AW; if they have those 4 certs plus 10 years experience you are on a good track.