Okna 500 vs 600 (or 800)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ctviggen1

Okna 500 vs 600 (or 800)

#1 Post by ctviggen1 »

We're close to deciding to buy Okna instead of Marvin/Integrity/Infinity or Andersen 400/A/Ultrex. I really like the Okna dealer in my town too. He recommends the 500 over the 800, saying that unless you like the looks of the 800, the 500 performs basically just as well (slightly higher air infiltration, but slightly lower U value -- both of these are very slight). However, I forgot to discuss the 600 series with him.

Are there any benefits to the 600 series over the 500 series?

I can't find any good comparison between these windows.

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna 500 vs 600 (or 800)

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Your installer is mostly right. I still prefer the 800 for the additional design pressure (60 vs. 50), reinforcement, and magnetic weatherstripping.

The 600 series does have reinforcement as well as a hardware option on the top sash as well as the reinforcement in the sash. The data between it and the 500 is basically identical.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Both the 600 series and 800 series will have structural reinforcement while the 500 does not have that option. Both also have a lock keeper that is fully embedded into the top sash whereas the 500 and 400 are not.
The 600 will have a more narrow frame than the 800 which allows some more glass.
The 600 and 800 also have sill interlocks as well as header interlocks while the 500 does not.
Both the 600 series and 800 come with a variety interior woodgrain options and hardware options.
All 3 are good windows though depending on your budget. The Okna 600 is a step above the 500 and the 600 has a nice look to it.
Bottom line, the Okna 600 and 800 both have additional structural and engineering features that the 500 does not have.
I like those extra structural features, they make the window stronger and more durable.
Last edited by masterext on Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Splitting hairs on performance ct. They are all elite level. The 800 is bullet proof, and that would be my choice, but the other two are still excellent and better than the vast majority of other windows on the market... The three lines do have some various differences as far as available options (mainly colors), so that could push you in one direction or another based on what you need.

ctviggen1

#5 Post by ctviggen1 »

Well, I had a nice long post...until my computer freaked out and I lost it all.

Anyway, my wife and I went to see Marvin/Integrity Wood Ultrex, which is a fiberglass exterior glued to a wood interior. Then immediately drove to the Okna dealer. My wife liked the 800 the best, as she liked the handles better. Comparing the two:

1) Integrity is better looking, the outside is smooth and the inside is wood, and the outside of the window assembly protrudes less than the Okna. The corners of the Okna windows look a bit cheesy and the wood finish on the Okna is not nearly as nice as the actual wood on the Integrity. The outside of the Okna is too "busy", and my wife actually liked the looks of the outside of the 900 series better, as it's plainer.

2) The Okna is better designed than the Integrity, with two locking mechanisms instead of one, two seals everywhere the Integrity has one, and a small screen, which we plan to use in the summer but then put in the top of the windows (for double hung). Supposedly, the glass is better performing in the Okna also. The engineer in me sides with the Okna just due to its better engineering features.

We selected the Okna 800, as we needed white interiors and white exteriors, and we rarely look at our windows. Our windows are covered on the interior of the house with cellular shades, and the current windows are covered with full length screens on the outside. We never see the windows. From our perspective, the 800 series is great for our purposes. The outside does protrude more than the Integrity windows, but this is how they generate the better overall energy efficiency. If we needed a "showpiece" window or staining on the inside of the window (and we didn't care about window performance), we'd get the Marvin/Integrity Wood Ultrex. Since we care more about performance, and the Oknas are just fine for us in terms of looks, we went with the Oknas.

If we could advise Okna as to what to improve, the corners of the windows could be less noticeable, the outside less "busy". And if they wanted to make a really high end window, adding a wood interior to their current window, if possible, would be good.

So, we chose the Okna 800 series over the Marvin Integrity (both lines)/Infinity, Andersen A, 400 (tilt wash or woodwright). I don't have direct price comparisons between the windows, though, as most dealers price the entire "package" and our package differed between dealers. I can compare Infinity windows versus Okna, and the Infinity windows were much, much more expensive.

Personally, if I wanted to dress up our house (what my friend used to call "polishing a turd"), I would sink money into a nice front door and landscaping. That's what I notice about houses, not windows. These things are on our list, but our window trim is rotting and our current windows are terrible, so we had to put windows highest on the list. Next, attic insulation, doors, then more windows. Ugh.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thanks for the feedback. The manufacturers of several of these products discussed do read the forums and feedback from the end users so your constructive feedback does not fall on deaf ears.

I agree with you about the exterior having a tendency to look "busy" with the cove details, but there is a method to the madness in this case. All of those details are actually improving the structure of the frame and ultimate design pressure of the window. Go figure.

Keep us posted how the installation goes and we always love to see before and after pictures on the completed projects if you are so inclined.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

Believe it or not, the overwhelming majority of home owners i come in contact with prefer the colonial coved moulding on the exterior. It adds a nice design and makes it appear more higher end than a tradition exterior. Thats one reason the higher end companies opt for a nice exterior design.
Whenever i would show a window that had just a basic exterior, they would always complain it looked too plain, boring, and cheap.
Last edited by masterext on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Ct, great choice, and great post. You have broken down the classic conundrum between wood and vinyl which has been discussed many times. Aesthetics vs performance (and cost). In my experience (and it sounds like yours), a higher end vinyl window does enough on the looks side of the equation to make it a winner for most homeowners.

ctviggen1

#9 Post by ctviggen1 »

Hi All,

I don't doubt that many people prefer the "fancier" looks of the 800 say over the 500 or other windows. These were comments made by my wife, and I think I echo her comments. When it comes to style, it's always up to the eye of the beholder. My wife did like the looks of the 900 series (on the outside) better, so she liked the simpler aspect.

For me, as an engineer, I understand some of the reasons behind the exterior, and how that works into the function of the window. So, while I think it could be simpler, I'd rather have the functionality provided by the various curves and extensions into the exterior.

We whittled our choice from a lot of windows down to two, the Integrity Wood Ultrex and the Okna. The all-fiberglass windows (all ultrex and Infinity) appeal to me on the logical level, but the Infinity were way too expensive and just looked OK, and we decided to go with overall performance. From my review of everything including seeing the windows, the Okna just seem better designed overall.

I'll try to take before pictures this weekend. The difference should be shocking (with any window, honestly), as the trim on a lot of the windows we selected in this first phase is terrible. Also, the weatherstripping for several of the windows we are having done is physically hanging out the window.

msmolgovsky

#10 Post by msmolgovsky »

Hello, we are looking to put soundproof (noise reduction windows) and were recommended OKNA 800 by one of the local dealers. Are Okna 800 actually reduce noise significantly or that dealer just wanted to sell it to us? Thank you

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

It will depend more on the glass package than the brand.
I’d choose a Good brand and reputable company(800 is excellent choice) then choose the appropriate glass package

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

If we are doing anything with the client requesting noise attenuation, we use the 800 for the following reasons:
  • 800 has the lowest air infiltration rating and a window that leaks less air will also leak less noise
  • 800 is also the most robust frame and laminated glass is heavy so it is better to run the stronger frame
  • Heavier mill thickness on the frame has more mass and should also help with vibration damping
Most windows for STC testing do NOT consider air infiltration so they are missing a critical part of the window design aspect.

A window that is airtight and has a good glazing schedule will usually out perform the walls or ceiling that surround it in most commonly built homes in our region. Walls that consist of masonry formations will have more mass and therefore be pretty good with sound control, but builders grad vinyl siding and a ventilated roof that has inadequate insulation levels and isn't air sealed will leak a bunch of noise too.

masterext

#13 Post by masterext »

Whenever i have a customer who wants noise reduction, i recommend the Okna 600 or 800 in triple pane. The 600 also gets a .18 ufactor with argon. Another pane of glass equals more mass and combined with a foam filled frame and sash as well as spray foam insulation, noise is definitely reduced.
In my view, the stc number doesnt truly reflect the actual “ real world” noise reduction when a third pane of glass is added. Its a much more affordable option than using laminated glass although not as dramatic.

toddinmn

#14 Post by toddinmn »

I’m not sure I would call triple paned windows sound reduction windows , but perhaps an improvement. They do not do any better than a dual pane with dissimilar glass thickness. Even a standard dual pane can often reduce sound cover what you have. Either way the data is out there and what to recommend would depend on your goals or expectations for sound reduction, even then it can be hard to say. From my understanding the actual windows are tested so one would think a lower air number would register. , but typically you see no difference amongst the brands that actually test for such things. Never have seen any evidence that a foam filled frame or sash has made any difference on an STC rating. I have seen evidence that fiberglass out performs closed cell foam. My house has spray foamed walls and ceilings, triple paned foam filled casements windows and sure I’m happy with the and think the noise level has been reduced but I think I might not noticed the difference if I had fiberglass insulation and dual pane windows . Pretty hard to say unless I built it both ways and went by a seat if the pants feeling.
Personally I dislike the Bevels in the exterior of the frames on many vinyl windows including the ones I sell. I notice this more than my customers and it is often a mute point, but if you do focus it it can bother you. I have never had a customer Say I prefer those details in the frames, but they often go that way way more so of the interior features .

masterext

#15 Post by masterext »

Not sure what you mean by that but every customer i come into contact with absolutely love’s the exterior bevels on the Okna 600 and 800. I would imagine the feedback would be the same from some of the others.
The extra structural features in the 600 and 800 make them extremely strong.
Last edited by masterext on Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.