Window Question In Minnesota

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
nascarnat

Window Question In Minnesota

#1 Post by nascarnat »

Hey all,
I've had about a dozen quotes for windows in my house, 7 DH 1 large picture which would either be a 3-lite slider or a 3-lite casement. I have it narrowed down to two people whose windows I like and personalities that I feel okay with.
I am looking at either the Reynolds American Classic 6000 w/ lo-e argon
or the Preservation with the R-10 glass w/ lo-e krypton.
I know the triple pane preservations would be better on insulation, but how do the two compare?
Thank you for any comments!!
Nat

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

Ok.. I'll venture my opinion. The ONLY Reynolds product I'd put in a house is used to wrap baked potatoes... Reynolds Wrap. As for the Preservation, slightly above average appearance, good performance numbers but it is not an R-10 glass window... that's only a center of glass measurement that the salesman pitched (about the size of a quarter)... but I'm sure he explained all that. If these are the only two choices you have allowed.. go Preservation, even though I am not a fan of Alside either.

nascarnat

#3 Post by nascarnat »

Thanks for that. I guess he called it a climatech 10, which I figured he meant r10.

nascarnat

#4 Post by nascarnat »

I guess my other options were Window World (which I have read about on this forum), and a company called Window Concepts. their windows are self made, so I am a little leary of going with them. The only other estimate we got was through Empire today which use alside triple pane. The guy that came out was cranky and quite frankly a prick. Plus he was pretty close to TWICE the price of everyone else.
I understand I am not going to get a top of the line window for the money that I am spending, but I cannot spend top dollar. Any help would be appreciated. If you know somebody else that I should call, or another window company that is around 600-650/window that is good quality.
Thanks again!

WindDoze

#5 Post by WindDoze »

Window Concepts doesn't make their own window...they sell Republic windows out of Chicago. They've been using that pitch that they "own the factory" and "make their own windows" for a long time because it sounds good to homeowners who don't know any better.

As for other windows in your price range in your area...there are other good companies are out there....many just under your nose.

nascarnat

#6 Post by nascarnat »

So do you have experience with them windoze? Are they a good window?
what do you mean right under my nose?

XSleeper

#7 Post by XSleeper »

LOL, look where he's from.

I've had lots of good experience with Thermal Line windows from Mandan, ND. Perhaps they have a dealer near you. Their website is tlwindows.com

You could also request a quote by filling out a form at the link above.

nascarnat

#8 Post by nascarnat »

Just one more quick question:
I have noticed that some windows have recessed latches for the swing in feature and some stick it right on top.
granted, right on top is a little less visually pleasing is there any structural differences and is one better than the other?
Thanks for the responses,
Nat

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#9 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Be carefull when choosing triple glaze, while I believe the pay back is going to only improve with rising oil prices if your 100% glass warranty is only for 10 yrs stay away because it well cost you mega bucks to replace. We only steer a customer in this direction if the warranty is 100% for at least 20 yrs.