Alside Window Question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
daughtersrus

Alside Window Question

#1 Post by daughtersrus »

We're looking to replace our current windows (wood sliders) with double hungs. We will put 2 double hungs in the opening for one slider. Does anyone know anything about Alside Excalibur? We're trying to figure out the difference between Alside, Pella, Anderson, Gilkey, Champion, Marvin...

We had an estimate yesterday for Alside Excalibur double hungs. Qty4- 31w x 56 no grids; Qty2- 27 x 53 with grids; Qty1- 40 x 38 no grids; Qty6- 36 x 42 with grids; Qty4 36 x 42 no grids; Qty1 50 x 53 picture window with grids and a 80" patio door no grids.

The estimate was $9200.00 installed. It seems a bit high but we're not sure. I've done an online estimate with Alside and the price ranges between $6500- $7900 without the patio door. If we choose this contractor, he will also be replacing the roof and siding on our house due to storm damage. We've been wanting to get the windows replaced and thought that it would be a good time while they have the old siding off.

We've also thought about doing it ourself but we're not sure how hard it would be and if the savings would be worth it.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. We're in the Chicago area if that matters.

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

May I suggest that you click on request a quote at the top of the page and possibly get a price from one of the people who contribute to this board and would not use a piece of junk like the Excalibur.

If you go Alside you want to use the Sheffield.

Bill
Uneeda Window of NJ

daughtersrus

#3 Post by daughtersrus »

I requested a quote prior to posting my question but I haven't heard anything yet. I wish that we could just get a quote without having to go through the whole sales pitch.

What is the difference between the Excalibur and the Sheffield?

WindDoze

#4 Post by WindDoze »

daughtersrus wrote: I wish that we could just get a quote without having to go through the whole sales pitch.

What is the difference between the Excalibur and the Sheffield?
Ask your sales rep.

homeowner

#5 Post by homeowner »

im not one of the pros, but easy question and i dont think you need a sales rep. i think thats what you want to avoid. the main difference i know about those windows is that you likely would prefer the sheffield. the pros say its better because of a redesign to stop water at the sill. the other window is called a pocket seal, i think. instead of resting on the sill, it goes into a pocket.

if you are talking typical dh windows, it will be somewhere between $300 and a grand per whole. the low # is pretty low. the high # is kinda high, but thats the ballpark likely.

WindDoze

#6 Post by WindDoze »

You people really crack me up. You come here, read a few posts, form a few opinions and now you are window experts. You act as if a sales rep is a bad thing. True there are some tin men out there, and if you read a few posts here you'll pick up enough insight to know when you are talking to one. But there are a lot of professionals (most of the posters here) who take this job seriously and really try to educate their customers about their options and what is best for them. Comments like "I wish that we could just get a quote without having to go through the whole sales pitch." and "I dont think you need a sales rep. i think thats what you want to avoid" really are insulting to those of use who've chosen this as a career and are trying to make a difference. Good Luck out there on your own.

daughtersrus

#7 Post by daughtersrus »

I didn't intend to insult anyone. Since price is a huge factor for us, if something is out of our price range, I don't want to waste the sales rep's time or mine showing me products that I will not purchase. How is that insulting?

If I can get a ballpark range for windows, I have no problem listening to the sales pitch for the windows that we can afford.

oppie

#8 Post by oppie »

I think I understand where you are coming from, but unless you do some serious window research you have no way to evaluate whether someone's quick estimate is way off base. The ideal rep is one who, like Bill described, would educate you about window features, give you an idea of how features correspond to price, and show you options from what what they -- or others -- carry that best meets your needs and budget. While those kinds of reps do exist, and seem to be well represented on this board, it's hard to know whether you've found one until you're so far into the process that you're already committed to the pitch (or consultation, if you're lucky).

I recommend that you dedicate a good chunk of hours on this site and its sister site, reading all you can on posts that address "window x" vs "window y". Use the search feature once you get some brands to compare or features to learn more about. Bill and FenEx in particular do a lot of education here (plus others, sorry) if you want to search their posts.
After a good week or so, you'll know enough to ask a few questions and get a sense of who you're dealing with.

My first quote -- for excaliburs, which he described as the very best product for the money and didn't mention any of the other models he could get -- was for more $ than a subsequent schuco quote for the same job. Now I know better and am still shopping.

windowmannjny

#9 Post by windowmannjny »

this was the original post from daughtersrus, i hope everyone can learn a valuable lesson from this